Hatchling Rack build question

I’ve never needed a dedicated hatchling rack before, this is a very nice problem!!

For a rack using 6qt sterilize tubs is 3" heat tape or 4" heat tape the preferred standard?

1 Like

Not much of a difference. If you don’t heat your room, then I’d suggest 4”. If you do, the 3” is fine.

2 Likes

@ballornothing thank you. I do temp control the room. Room is at constant 80F.

Thank you for your time and the input!

I wouldn’t use any tape then. That temp would be fine for hatchlings. I think hatchlings do better kept at about 5 degrees cooler than adults. In my experiences they eat better and are less defensive.

2 Likes

If you’re going to make one I’d love to see the blueprints/finished product since I’m working on 6 qt rack designs myself (for hatchling geckos).

2 Likes

I use 3” in my hatchling racks.

3 Likes

Like @saleengrinch says, I also like to keep my hatchlings lower temp. But I also like having the 3" heat tape for peace of mind backup in case something happened to cause the room heat to fail. I personally set my tape to 85F on the tape for the hatchling rack.

3 Likes

I do 85f as well, my hatchling racks have heat but if my room temp was a constant 80 I would be totally comfortable if they didn’t.

3 Likes

oops. mistyped C for F. plz don’t cook them at 85 Celsius :sweat: That would be very bad.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the insight. I hadn’t considered not having the heat tape. Hmmm, now I need to think through the plans. Honestly for the $100 the heat tape will cost me, I’ll still probably go with it and set it lower.

1 Like

@erie-herps I’ll sketch one up in the next day or two. I like the 3/4" PVC boards that are 9" wide. I’ll use those for all of this build except for the back (outside walls and shelving). I’m going three tubs wide by 12 high (I think). The inside (shelf) width will be 24" which is actually about an inch wider than necessary. Five inches height per rack shelf space, plus the 3/4" board above each space will put it at nearly exactly 6ft high. That all fits my space nicely. I’ll put casters on the bottom. On the back I’ll use a sheet of FRP panel. The 3/4" PVC and FRP back sheet will keep it Saturday, and it can all be washed and hosed down/sanitized. Big power strips on the side into a dedicated thermostat.

This design is for tubs with lids

2 Likes