He wants me DEAD

What is this species? Looks very interesting, almost like a leopard gecko with different scales. Not only the build of the body but the head/face looks especially leopard gecko like.

5 Likes

To me it looks like a Knob Tail

2 Likes

Whoa!:heart_eyes: made me giggle reading that lol

1 Like

I definitely would like to know as well!

3 Likes

Hey guys he is evil…lol He is a species of wonder gecko. They growl, they run at you, they wiggle their tails and if you touch him, he drops his fish like scales and becomes a scary looking raw chicken breast fillet

6 Likes

a different species42F6FD9C00000578-4761528-image-a-1_1501861378830 but this happens

9 Likes

What in the world!!!:joy::flushed::scream:

1 Like

Oh I’ve heard of those before! They had to tell the different species apart via xraying their skulls or smth because the scales were unreliable for obvious reasons

2 Likes

Fish scale gecko

1 Like

yes same defense mechanism

3 Likes

Ooh I like it. I want my hands on these things. Ok maybe in their own enclosure that I never touch ever lol.

2 Likes

really lots of fun. They mood a lot

1 Like

Ok! I found out they are also called frog eyed geckos, which I have seen available before. I have never even heard of a wonder gecko before!

yea I dislike common names tbh. You cannot get confused with binomial names. I’m from the UK so call them different no doubt

3 Likes

Ok. That is interesting.

They also rattle their tails like rattle snakes. Very cool dense little lizard that hates to be held lol I had a pair of tibetan locality years ago

1 Like

They literally come off? Doesn’t that leave them incredibly vulnerable? Seems like a bad defense mechanism!

1 Like

With defense mechanisms in reptiles (usually losing a body part) they think more about surviving the next day and will do anything to survivie it, even if it makes life much, much harder for them later. A famous example is leopard geckos, they will drop their tails but the wound could become infected, they need to eat nearly daily since they don’t have fat stores, etc. So if a predator has this gecko pinned on the ground or has its claws on it then the animal has two choices. 1) Run and struggle and end up being killed 2) dropping the scales and being able to escape, it will make life harder later but it will have survived the day.

2 Likes

Will the scales eventually grow back?

Eventually, yes but it would take at least a month, though probably longer.