Heat tape for rack

Does anyone know much heat tape I would need to order for my 4 high, 12qt shoe box rack?
3in wide but not sure on the length needed.

2 Likes

Your need to know a few things.

Width of your shelves? Do you want to run it as one continuous strip, or are you planning to wire a strip for each level?

2 Likes

3” pre connected heat tape from reptiles basics

2 Likes

Do keep in mind that if you aren’t putting them on a shelf system and just stacking directly on top of each other that heat tape could be dangerous this way.

There is no way to prevent the tape on top from heating the box directly below it as well so sandwiched boxes can get overheated.

1 Like

They’re in a 4 shelf rack I bought many years ago just trying get fresh new heat tape down. Don’t wanna under order or severely over order either.

3 Likes

It’s going to be much easier for you to take a tape measure and measure the width of your shelves to know how much you need, than it would be for us to try to do the math to account for the tapered sides of the tubs.

3 Likes

If doing a strip per shelf, Measure how wide (long) the shelf is and times it by the number of shelves you plan on using. (if 3’ long and using all 4 shelves, 12’)
If running one strip from shelf to shelf, you will need to know the above plus the distance between each shelf. (if 3’ long and using all 4 shelves, 12’. Plus if shelves are 2’ high, then add another 2’ per level times 3 = 6’. Total 6’ + 12’ =18’)

2 Likes

I got 21.5 across the shelf and 6in from shelf to shelf(little bit under 6) so 9ft total. Thanks for this reply

2 Likes