Heating Advice

I have a 36x18x18 pvc enclosure with a 40w Radient heat panel. I can not get the hot side to reach desired temp of around 90. It’ll get to 86 at the most. So I was thinking I could raise the hot side from the bottom by buying some flat stones from Lowe’s maybe so that it would raise the ground closer to the heat. Would this work? It’s either that or I will have to upgrade my heat panel and see what Pro Heat products suggest for me. Also the gradient seems fine. The cool side of the cage is 79 or 80 so that’s perfect as of right now but I’m worried that it’ll drop once it’s starts getting colder out.

The height is why you aren’t attaining the desired floor hot spot. In all of my tall enclosures I put a shelf or stand beneath the heat panel so there is a spot that is my desired temp. Be careful putting any large heavy stones in the enclosure if they aren’t secured, they can end up injuring your animal if they are put on bedding rather than a stable solid surface. I do like the idea of using stones beneath the heat panels though, they are a great heat sink where the animals can soak up the belly heat while receiving the radiant heat from above.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Yeah I didn’t realize it was gonna be a problem until it was too late unfortunately. I kinda just moved all the substrate and laid the stones down, and then covered it up so it looks like a hill. I was hoping the stones would soak up some heat too.

And this is a late reply but that’s a beautiful tank

IF anyone has further advice on this topic, I am having a similar problem in a nearly identical sized setup.

My house is chilly, so I want to make sure my noodles stay properly warm enough, so is giving my Ball Python a “hill” to put his warm hide up closer to the heat likely to get me a Warm Spot warm enough?
What I am hoping to create with a tilegrout covered hide is a somewhat warm hiding place inside, with a Hot spot being the top of it where the snake can curl up if he likes and wants to soak up Radiant heat from the panel.

Does that sound feasible? I’m gonna give it a try and test for temps before I ever put the snake in there, of course. And I do have the panel on a thermostat.

@athleticshoelace For balls, I would use belly heat. I am not sure what the OP was housing. Since BP like to hide, I am not sure if they will want to “bask” on a higher spot as they mostly like being underground/in a hide. Heat for them should not be more then 88, and this would be the highest I would go. If your temps are around or near 86 as the OP stated, then you are good.

1 Like