Hello from southern Oregon

Greetings everyone.
I am looking to get my first snake, I have lived with ball pythons and a bearded dragon in the past, but now i am looking for something different. I am interested in an Axanthic bull snake specifically as I absolutely love their look and presence. I know they aren’t generally looked at as first time snakes due to their belligerent attitudes, but I love working with difficult, or “sassy” animals. I first learned of the breed by watching snake discovery on youtube and have been doing my research ever since. If you want to get to know me, or reach out about snakes or other reptiles, please let me know. Nice to meet you all.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @nikolai32!

Sassy animals ha-ha. I love that :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your time here. If you want a snake that can be a bit sassy (mainly as babies) but is still a large, hardy snake then I would recommend an Eastern rat snake. They are also known as black rat snakes, yellow rat snakes, grey rat snakes and greenish rat snakes. Each color comes from a different part of the Eastern U.S, but all are (according to Scientist at the moment) the same species. The babies are usually really sassy and seemingly brave, and the snakes themselves are beautiful. The adults I have encountered are all very expressive and to me, have a lot more going on in their head than something like a BP.

My adult girl that I just got in a couple days ago has spent her time with her head sticking out of her hide watching me. When I go near the tank she will stare right at me and actually start moving towards me while trying to figure out what I am/what I am doing. She is also an impressive size, but not too big. She is around 5’5" and is 945 grams. Over all an underrated, seemingly more intelligent species that doesn’t get as big as a bullsnake, but can still get pretty big. If you need any info about their care just ask!

2 Likes

Welcome nikolai32

1 Like

Welcome! I’m from Oregon, I lived in the Sweet Home/Lebanon/Albany area while growing up. I live in Indiana now :joy:

Bull snakes are pretty neat, though I keep ball pythons and hognoses myself. The hognoses do also have attitudes but I find it endearing :pleading_face:

1 Like

Something for me to consider. Maybe when we decide for our next snake. For now I am really interested in the bulls, admittedly for their size, but also their reputation. Thank you for the information and the advice on something to consider though.

Welcome! I can second @ashleyraeanne ‘s comments on rat snakes. In my youth, I generally would have one for the summer months. Wild caught, but always released at the end of the summer. Volunteer work at the CT Audubon Society gave me access to frozen mice, so they were well fed. :wink:

They are very inquisitive and hardy critters. And gorgeous right after the shed… Some years, I’d catch a young one, and other years they’d push five feet. My mom preferred the small ones, hah hah! But I found their tempers improved w age.

1 Like

I live in SW Washington state- hello neighbor!

I know what it’s like to have your eye on a species that, for whatever reason, has totally captured your attention. In my case, when it comes to snakes, I desperately want a blood python so so bad! I’ve been able to reason with myself so far, but I can’t say for how long I’ll be able to resist. :wink:

1 Like

I appreciate all your guys advice, greetings, and passion when it comes to reptiles. I am hoping to go to school for reptiles and become at least a novice herpetologist.

2 Likes

I live in Southern Oregon too!! So nice to meet a fellow herper in my area! Specifically I’m in Medford. I’m just getting started breeding BPs but you have me curious! I’ll have to look into the Bull Snake!!

1 Like

I live on the border of white city and central point lol, we are practically neighbors.