Hello from the UK!

Hey Everyone, my names Zak and im from Birmingham, UK.

Started off with a Crested Gecko whom i rehomed about 6 years ago, had a corn snake for the last two years and am currently waiting for delivery of my first ball python.

Love to learn from you guys with crazy collections! :uk:

7 Likes

Hi Zak :blush: welcome to the community.

I’m from Manchester, there is only a handful of us on here.
When you get a chance make sure to show of them animals :grin:

1 Like

I take it you mean a handful of British?
Ive been using the Reptile Forums, which i still do, but there only seems to be a handful of helpful people. Everyone else just moans and is negative towards everything.

Certainly will when the Royal arrives!

For now, heres my hypo motley Sid.

5 Likes

Yeah, only a few British guys so far.
You’ll like it here then, everyone is friendly and helpful and we do our best to avoid negativity, that’s not what we’re about.

Sid is gorgeous :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Welcome Zak! Once you get one ball, you have 3 the next month.
Ha-ha. Sid is just gorgeous!

2 Likes

Thanks guys.

Im under strict instruction that two snakes is enough for one house. Dominant female lol!

1 Like

Sooo your allowed some in the shed? :joy:

2 Likes

Believe me, if it wasnt 3° out there… :joy:

1 Like

Hey there… that’s a good looking hypo corn. Glad to have you here. I know what you mean about the negativity in some of the other forums. I run a group on fb that’s pretty good about keeping that mess away, but a lot of them are not so good at it. Anyhow I wish you the best if i can ever help with anything don’t hesitate to ask.

2 Likes

What a breath of air this is. I just find on the other forums, if you ask something you seem to get slated for not knowing, or told your method is wrong.

In reality, Its better to educate someone rather than just be negative. And i already feel that the vibe here is best. Cant believe its took me so long to find.

1 Like

Well our group philosophy is that there is more than one “right” way to do things. There are of course many wrong ways as well but you’re right it’s not helpful at all to tell someone they’re wrong without at least offering a suggestion for a fix and explaining what is wrong with what they’re doing. My personal goal is to educate people to the best of my own ability on best husbandry practices. What they do with it is on them.

2 Likes

Calamity says hello too

Sonoran gopher snake

3 Likes

Ive literally just linked to your hybrids through your profile. That jungle corn is outrageous…

1 Like

@xflavell are you talking about Storm, the white one?

@thebeardedherper the CaliKingXCorn thats more yellow of the two

Oh that would’ve been Sol… unfortunately I lost him just a couple of weeks ago. He swallowed a rat that was a little too big, misjudged it, and passed a few days later. Totally my fault and it sucks but that’s the way it goes some times. I thought he could handle it and he did at first but then regurgitated it the next day and that was it.

2 Likes

Mate that sucks so bad.

As i said above sometimes we need educating, and i hope you dont mind me asking, but how did that cause him to pass? Just out of interest and because i didnt realise this was possible?

I assume that he probably tore something internally. I say that the large meal caused it because he had no previous history of regurgitation and as far as I could tell there was nothing wrong with him up to that point. Now I could be mistaken and it may have been something unrelated because the rat was only a little bigger than his usual meals, but it was his first meal out of brumation so maybe it was that his stomach needed to be acclimated to it again.
Either way I can say that too large a meal can definitely cause damage and death, but he didn’t seem to have much difficulty with it.

3 Likes

I’ve been told from a couple of corn/Colubrid breeders that it’s better for them to be fed several small items of food rather than one large. That being said though I’m guilty of trying to get my babies on rats asap. Have also heard (no experience) that after a burmation you should feed a couple of smaller meals before offering even their normal sized… But that’s just word of mouth.

1 Like

Usually out of brumation I do feed smaller meals to start but I’ve been out of work for a month and fed him what I had which I thought would be okay just an oversight on my part

3 Likes