Hello Guys, I'm New

OK. Never wanted an ant colony.

Until now.

Good thing my animal room is about to expand!

5 Likes

Oh, you should definitely try it! You’ll enjoy it especially since you already enjoy inverts!

5 Likes

I wanted to do black pavement ants and redheaded carpenters. Also, I wanted to a small colony of true fire ants because they are a so easy to find in my area of FL. Hopefully one I will be able to have some. I will probably only own the pavement ants though.

6 Likes

That’s one heck of an ant! But I think I will leave them be……. Lol!

Please post updates on her and her eggs! I hope you are able to get that colony going! I think that’s the first ant pic I have seen on this forum since I joined! You never know what you are going to see next here! I love it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sunglasses:

4 Likes

I really want these also! I like their small size and they’re also very easy to care for. I know someone who found an established colony living under their door mat. Lol I’m too scared to try fire ants. I’ve heard they are escape artists. I think the closest I’d get to fire ants is Argentine ants.

5 Likes

Well I also love the pavement ants because you can have a large large colony of them.

5 Likes

What is this? Im not much of a bug person, this one looks creepy. LOL!

Have you ever been stung by one of the bright red velvet ants? I have it hurts like crazy. I was very young at the time. They are noisy when you accidentally lay on one. It had gotten in our house. I have only seen one other since and it was much smaller.

4 Likes

That is a vinegaroon.

5 Likes

Thanks spottedbull. I will look him up on Google.

4 Likes

Is it your arm that it’s on?

2 Likes

That name reminds me of a salad dressing type! :rofl:

3 Likes
3 Likes

Not for me thank you very much! :joy:

2 Likes

I love how he has it in his face :upside_down_face:. Just shows how harmless they really are.

4 Likes

I don’t want one. I just wondered what it was.
The only little insects i catch are rolly pollies and praying mantis when i see one, or the little stick insects. Sorry i don’t know the scientific name for all the species of these.

5 Likes