Hello! I’m new here!

Hi!! I’m new here, thanks to my good friend @indiflare :slight_smile:

I’m looking into buying a crested gecko but I know literally nothing about them and I could use a little help on how to take care of these little guys and what I need for them. Thanks!

5 Likes

Hey!
Yay more Crestie people!

Bioactive set up, atleast 45x45x60cm. Lots of branches and cork tubes are brill too, real plants. Substrate with isopods and springtails! Mist 2/3 times a day and Pangea or repashy every other day along with crickets 2/3 times a week!
I have a thread on making backgrounds too if you want to go check that out!
X

6 Likes

Welcome!
They’re pretty easy to take care of :blush:
An adult needs around a 45x45x60 terrarium (larger is even better), smaller geckos can be kept in something like a 30x30x45 for your own convenience.
Bioactive enclosures with real plants and isopods/springtails to help clean up works great for these guys; but as long as they have things to climb on and things to hide in, their enclosure can be set up in lots of different ways.
They need temps around 22/72 - 28/83, and it shouldn’t get above 30/86. A hotspot is beneficial, but if your relative temps are in those temps, it’s not needed. If you chose to use heating, a thermostat is a must cause they can be sensitive to excessive heat.
They don’t need UVB, but again it’s beneficial if you want to provide it. Arcadia Shadedweller Arboreal 2.4% is perfect. Bascially the UVI should be around 1.5 or so in the basking spot.
Humidity should be around 75% on average, and it’s important to let the enclosure dry out physically in between mistings, as constantly wet surfaces are a breedingground for bacteria/fungi which can cause problems. How often to mist depends on a few factors such as relative humidity where you live and your setup, it can vary from once a week to twice a day. Use a hygrometer to start out, to get an idea of how often it’s needed. Always provide a water bowl. Depending on the size of the gecko and whether they’re actively growing/laying eggs I personally feed every 2-4 days. They’re fed CGD (crested gecko diet) which is a powder made of mainly fruits and typically also insects that you mix with water to create a smoothie. Personally i only feed flavours/brands with insects in them, but there are some decent ones out there without. Live insects are also great if your gecko wants them, ive personally found that they lack interest if they’re fed a good CGD though, especially as they get older😊

7 Likes

Thank you so much!!

3 Likes

Wow! Thank you so much! That helps me a lot!!

2 Likes

Hey:)
Pretty great advice so far lol. Welcome!

4 Likes

Hello Hannah and welcome to the forum! I am going to act as the welcoming community because you can’t possibly get any more expert advice than what the experts have already given! And btw I am certainly not an expert on gecko enclosures! :joy:

Best of luck to you Hannah! Now you know where to come if you need anything gecko! :pray::heart::blush::star_struck:

4 Likes

Welcome and great to hear your thinking of joining the crestie crew.

You’ve already got a lot of info above so I’ll just ask… Have you thought about what morph/traits you’d like?
Are you planning on just 1 or a couple to start with?

3 Likes

Thank you so much!!

1 Like

I’m going to start with just one because I’m buying her from a friend. I’m not exactly sure what traits she has tho :joy:

2 Likes

We can help with that :wink:

3 Likes

Lol, she’s a dark Phantom Tiger Dal.
It’s my girl Coco!

3 Likes

Ahhh thanks :joy:

1 Like

Welcome to the Crestie club! I just joined a few months ago. You will learn alot from the people here 🩷

4 Likes