Help! Bad Head Rub!

Hello… I’m a little freaked out. I don’t understand this head rub. Only one of mine who has it. All in identical tubs.

2 Likes

Don’t know if you can tell by the pictures but it is raw. A little blood. I treated with betadine on a q-tip. Actually, upon reflection, one of my others had a tiny one back in March, but not nearly this bad.

1 Like

I’d recommend continuing to gently treat with betadine. If you see swelling or discharge, consult a vet that specializes in reptiles. Your vet may decide to prescribe antibiotics if there is an infection. Check the ceiling of the enclosure for anything rough or sharp. Sometimes chronic head-rubbers require a larger or smaller enclosure to feel secure, so consider experimenting with that if the behavior continues.

2 Likes

One of mine had a very similar wound, I found the plastic hide she was using had a rough patch on some of the edges and the top of the opening. I used a simple nail file to soften the rough spots and she never re-injured her head again. If there’s anything at all you think could possibly be responsible, assume that it is and find a way to remedy it. After betadine and 2-3 sheds there might still be a dark mark or some scarring, but it should be healed over pretty easily if she isn’t able to rub it again.

3 Likes

I would look for something sharp as well just a stress induced habitual rubbing I would expect more a swelling or lump, or even raw spot but more on the snout. That looks like it caught on something sharp.

3 Likes

I agree, looks more like a scale catching than a rubbing issue

1 Like

Thanks. I moved her to a different enclosure. I will continue betadine and watch for infection.

2 Likes