Help! Female hognose with vent infection

I need some help here. My female hog has some sort of infection in her vent, possibly her scent glands. She threw up her last meal, and this was odd so I did a once over on her and her vent looked badly infected. She has a vet appointment booked, but what’s the outlook on this? She still has a very strong feeding response, she just throws it up. She is also hissy, but she is like that normally. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

4 Likes

I would do soaks for 30 minutes with 80-85 degree water. When is your appointment for? You will 100% need a vet trip with in the week

6 Likes

Definitely put her on paper towels immediately. Also a warm soak in some chlorhexidine won’t hurt. @noodlehaus any other suggestions?

4 Likes

As said by Logan & Caron, put her on paper towel and a soak in chlorhexidine or dilute iodine (plain water first, add the other stuff after she’s had a chance to drink). This is 100% an emergency, so if that appointment isn’t tomorrow, you need to be finding an exotics emergency clinic. At this point based on what I’m seeing, she’s going to need antibiotics and possibly surgery. Also, do not try feeding her again, repeat regurgitations are only going to weaken her.

6 Likes

Thank you all for your responses. She is on paper towels and has had a soak. She is going to the vet tomorrow, thank you all again.

4 Likes

Wishing you both the best, hopefully treatment can get her sorted out!

4 Likes

I sure hope things work out for her ok. Sounds like she really needs medical attention yesterday. Definitely let us know how it goes tomorrow and what her prognosis is. :pray:

4 Likes

Thank you all so much for your kind words! Looking back at pictures it appears the breeder sold her to me with this condition already present just not as severe. :frowning: I feel horrible that I didn’t recognize it sooner due to thinking the bulge at her tail was just normal for her. I’m definitely taking all my hogs to the vet when I receive them in the future. After some internet searching it appears to be infected/impacted scent glands. She is still active and has a good feeding response (I fed her on Sunday before I noticed this) so I have a lot of hope for her. Again thank you so much for your words and advice.

Edit: I forgot to add that she defected on Saturday and the feces looked normal

5 Likes

Make sure to keep us updated! I agree that it looks like an impacted/infected scent gland. I have heard that it is unfortunately somewhat common in hogs and sometimes it will keep happening even after treatment in rare cases. She is gorgeous and i would hate for anything to happen to her.

Also I am not trying to worry you I just want to make sure that you understand what is happening/what could happen.

Can’t wait to see her all fixed up and good as new :wink:

5 Likes