Help ! is my crested gecko dying?

I just noticed last night that my crested gecko has something that is holding their toes stuck together. I am going to try soaking tonight, but any suggestions ??? I am so lost to what even happened. she’s is always under supervision when out of her enclosure. do i call a vet ??

the first two photos are of the “bad” foot ( i tried removing it and it seemed to hurt her ) then the other pic is her other one

Do you have a reptile-specific vet that you know of? If not use this link to find one near you: Member Search - Association of Reptile and Amphibian Veterinarians
That requires a vet visit. It looks like stuck shed is restricting growth and movement of the foot. Only a vet will be able to diagnose and treat it.

2 Likes

I’m not certain as I’ve not had this happen. But it looks as though food has got stuck on your Cresties toes and dried, then some of it has got infected.

I agree, you need to take to a vet. I wouldn’t soak until you’ve seen a vet

3 Likes

It’s either stuck shed that’s now infected or she’s hurt herself somehow…
insect bite could’ve happened also…

Is it bleeding?

3 Likes

thank you all so so much!! it turns out she just needed a little soak with dawn dish soap and warmish water !! she is as healthy as ever !!

I don’t use dawn dish soap but I’m almost certain that bathing a gecko in it is very bad!

Do NOT bath her in dish soap…
You’ll make her ill and can kill her is she drinks it!

1 Like

Why is that bad? I know if she drinks it it would be bad, but it’s recommended quite often for ball pythons. Is it because she could absorb some of it? If that were the case, bathing first in just water would prevent the gecko from absorbing the soap water.
Either way I’m glad that it came off.

1 Like

It’s soap, nothing should be bathed in soap… Wow, never heard of that at all…
If drunk, which cresties always do when being soaked, it can make her ill.

Defo not something that should be done.

JUST water if fine.

3 Likes

Same I’ve never heard of any reptile being safely soaked in soapy water

2 Likes

It’s often recommended for ball pythons with mites, since it removes surface tension that allows them to survive underwater. It’s often not a lot of dish soap, just enough to remove surface tension.

1 Like

When the burm we had, had mites bad, water was enough to get them off… No soap was added at all…
Mite spray after to be safe and kill any missed.

3 Likes

The recommended amount for adding dish soap is 3-5 drops for many gallons of water, so it wouldn’t be enough to be toxic. Using the search function on here has a ton of results for that.

I’m still not convinced this is suitable for Cresties. Cresties drink water as soon as near it so it’s almost certain they would’ve drunk it.

What I have read (from little research) it is not recommended for Cresties, despite it being used for ball pythons (I repeat, I’ve never used this on our ball pythons). Just because it’s suitable for one your of reptile, doesn’t mean it’s suitable for all!

Hopefully the gecko is okay and nothing will come of it, but I would strongly suggest more research, better yet all a reptile vet before considering this option

1 Like

I agree, I wouldn’t use it for them just because of their thin skin. I worry that it could be absorbed or harm the skin in some way. I think it depends on how much was used. If it was only a few drops the gecko will be fine, but if it was a ton there could be some negative effects.

1 Like