Help- Male Retic hasn't eaten in 9-10 months

I can’t seem to get any help with this issue. I have a male Retic that wants to breed. He stops eating until he can, but I’m not wanting to breed them. As a result, he’s been fasting and just keeps on refusing food. I’ve let him breed once and he began eating like crazy afterward and stopped once he was ready to go again. He’s beginning to pass urates, which I haven’t seen him do in a long while, but he’s visibly beginning to lose some weight. He’s incredibly light. I’m unsure of what to do to get him to eat. I’ve tried moving him to a smaller enclosure, numerous types of food choices live and pre-killed, leaving his food in overnight, braining, and making sure his temps were good, but no success in getting him to take food.

I’ve exhausted all options besides assist feeding. Any recommendations?

1 Like

Is he housed near any females? It might help to move him away from them.

3 Likes

He is, but I’ve moved him out of the house before with no success. I have a rack I’ll put him in and move him across the house today

2 Likes

What prey types have you tried?

2 Likes

Gpigs, rats, chicken, quail, rabbits. He eats all of those, but he’s been refusing them since he wants to breed. I’ve moved him across the house as far away from the girls as I could and put him on aspen bedding hoping it brings back his hunger

He is a stubborn boy, huh :thinking:. I hope that he eats for you.

1 Like