Help me choose my next snake

It is indeed more of a maximum size than a general size, it is more often assosiated with coastal carpets in the wild with unlimited room and food access than would really be found in captivity. I mainly bring it up to remind people that the subspecies of carpet python are variable in size from the small subspecies (darwin) reaching 4-6 feet, up to the coastals which regularly can reach 10 foot in optimal conditions. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Another reason i brought it up, they get long, but they do not get thick and their bite is more danger than their constriction capabilities so long as you are awake and capable of defending yourself. I do not believe an adult carpet python could overpower an adult human, but their bites have occasionally caused significant nerve damage in worst case scenerios.

2 Likes

Not technically one of your 3 choicesā€¦presay. but Dumerils Boas are the best!! Just saying. Pound for poundā€¦strongest snakes IMOā€¦ but generally the chillest too.

4 Likes

I also absolutely love my Peruvian BCC. AlthO that Locality is definitely harder to come by.

3 Likes

Oh my gosh yes! I love dumerils boas! I have some friends that have a few and they are such fantastic snakes!
This is one they produced last year. The camera doesnā€™t show the true colors, but they have this amazing almost neon coloration when young.

6 Likes

I have to say just got a Dominican red mountain boa and the baby has never even struck at me once. Little thing is very shy but that makes. Only musked once and that was when I first got her and opened her lid from shipping. Went thru my pleasant herps and totally love this little sweat hart.
7d9b370859f355b8fc5484996219cdbe pic not mine but to show the size and how they look totally colored up. Oh yeah they also change colors throughout the day

6 Likes

Iā€™ve heard great things about Dumerilā€™s! Iā€™m a little ashamed to admit that I kind of forgot about them when trying to narrow down my ā€œnext snakeā€ list, but they should probably be added to the list! I love their pattern and colouring, and Iā€™ve heard that they typically have wonderful temperments.

3 Likes

I must confess that Iā€™ve never heard of Dominican red mountain boas, but thatā€™s a truly beautiful animal! I loves me a nice red snake. Would you mind telling me a little more about them? What are their care requirements (enclosure size for an adult, environmental conditions, terrestrial or arboreal, etc.) and how big do they get? Whatā€™s their availability within the pet trade, and are they being bred in captivity? Iā€™ll of course do my own research, but Iā€™d love to hear your input since youā€™re currently keeping one.

1 Like

I currently have a redtail boa and she has been on frozen/thawed all her life no problems. The only times she has refused is when she is deep in shed. She is decently chill and fun to handle and without to much cost although they do get decently big even as males but nowhere near say a retic. In my experience I would go for a boa but I have never kept a retic and I have always wanted to. I hope this helps.

4 Likes

Thanks for your input, and welcome to the forum! I am currently leaning heavily in the direction of getting some sort of boa, butā€¦weā€™ll see. Even if I end up getting something else this time, Iā€™ll definitely get a boa at some point. Theyā€™re amazing animals.

The type of retic Iā€™m considering (Kalatoa super dwarf, descended from a wild island population that stays much smaller than the mainland variety, an example of insular dwarfism) actually doesnā€™t get that much longer than a large boa (males might actually be shorter), and would be lighter and more slender-bodied than a boa of a similar length. They still have the potential to be a bit of a handful, as they typically have insane feeding responses and can be somewhat reactive, but it depends on the individual (just like with any other species, thereā€™s some pretty spicy boas out there too). You might look into them yourself if youā€™re interested in having a retic but have reservations about the epic size of the mainland variety. Iā€™ve always adored retics, but keeping a snake thatā€™s likely to reach 15-20+ feet just isnā€™t realistic for me, so discovering the existence of dwarf and super dwarf retics has opened up all kinds of possibilities for me, haha.

Currently Iā€™m leaning towards getting a boa as my next snake (just because I think Iā€™ll have slightly better odds of it having a nice chill temperment) and then getting an SD retic once the boa has put on some size and Iā€™ve gained more experience and comfort handling and caring for a large constrictor. But both boas and SD retics are on my must-have list, theyā€™re both really beautiful, amazing snakes.

7 Likes

I have a Haitian (Dominican red) & he is a pain in my but!! I have tryed & tryed & still cant get him to switch from lizardsā€¦& he is super messy. They pee alot & when it drys its like concreteā€¦ he is nice thOā€¦

3 Likes

Boa, donā€™t want to go from what youā€™ve had to a retic! Thatā€™s a snake thatā€™s gets over 20ā€™ requires 2 to handle when they get big needs/should have a huge enclosure and lots of love and handling.

2 Likes

Ok re do a super dwarf would be cool more manageable size for sure. Retic in my opinion require a lot more handling and interaction they are very very smart snakes and need stimulation and handling to keep them good.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know many retics over 20ā€™! I know it is quite possible but you would really have to get some large genetics and really feed it a ton! Most mainland females are in the range of 14-16 feet nowadays. Not very many people want a huge snake! More people are realizing that retics are slender, active snakes and feed them a appropriate sized meal every 7-10 days for babies, then when adult you feed larger items monthly or longer in a lot of cases. My biggest adult mainland female is just 14-15ā€™ and the gentlest, easiest going snake I got.(besides ball pythons) Look I am the devil on your shoulder :japanese_ogre:Ya know you want a retic. Just do it! :joy:

I am just joking around, but seriously they arenā€™t a lot more work and are a very rewarding species to interact with. Get whatever snake, suits your fancy, these species where all very good suggestions! Have a good one! My ā€œmonsterā€retic says hi! (She is a citrus, mochino, goldenchild)

6 Likes

Honestly, the intelligence of retics is one of the things that makes them appeal to me. Blood pythonsā€™ reputation for intelligence is one of the things that drew me to that species as well, and my blood has not disappointed me on that front. I definitely get the sense that her brain is always processing and working (I love my sand boa to pieces, but she has proven many times that sheā€™s not the brightest crayon in the box, bless her little heart). Iā€™ve always found it very rewarding to work with animals who clearly have some wheels turning upstairs, even though that can often present some extra challenges.

2 Likes

Donā€™t think I havenā€™t seriously considered going for a mainland, haha. It would open up a lot more morph options within my price range for sure. And I know that even adult females typically stay well under 20ā€™, and that only exceptional specimens reach or exceed that size. Even still, 15ā€™ is a lot of snake. Hell, 10ā€™ is a lot of snake, but 15ā€™ is half again as long as 10ā€™. I feel like I should probably get comfortable with 8-10ā€™ before I go for 14-16ā€™.

Your girl is stunning! :heart_eyes: I love how bright yellow she is. Iā€™d love to have a retic that gorgeous some day. :heart:

3 Likes

Thanks! I am trying to pair her with my 87.5% kalatoa sd Platinum, Anery male as we speak. He doesnā€™t seam quite interested yet. I know you will get a great snake for you, whatever species you choose. Just be careful because you will want moreā€¦!

3 Likes

Man, I wish I could have a retic. They are a dream animal for me

2 Likes

What size enclosure do you keep her in? Iā€™ve looked into retics before but the enclosure for them is foo big and expensive for me right now. If I did get a retic I would get a super dwarf.

1 Like

Great little write up here on the bare basics. Dominican Red Mountain Boa - Captive Husbandry just to give an idea. I got my little one from Mtpleasentherps.com and so far just great. One down side is there urate it is so strange it almost turns into a super glue after it hardens just crazy. But other then that awesome little one. They are semi arboreal do not like high temps. Hot spot mid to high 80ā€™s Some people say low 80ā€™s for them and a cool side mid to high 70ā€™s with 5 to 10 night time drop. Mountain reptiles are awesome in that way. Also they love water and having a bowl big enough for them seems to be a must. They get to around 6 feet for the most part. But monster girls of 8 feet are not unheard of just not likely, I also am not the first or even tenth person to say that biting even as babies is not there go to defensive measure. She cracks me up if she is coming out of her hide at night and sees me i can actually see her think if about what i am doing. If I pay too much attention or have direct eye contact on her she nopes back into the hide. If not she comes out to explore and check out the surroundings but if I look to close she is like nope nope nope. But she is curious just awesome dream snake so happy.
Also check out the calico Dominican red mountain boa. The most amazing looking morph i have ever seen on a snake. Also impossible to find lol.

3 Likes