Help me choose my next snake

Yup totally agree about the pee it is nuts the level of concrete hardness to it. Also know that they are lizard feeders as babies. But you can get them switched i bought from Mtpleasentherps.com and they did the hard work to switching them to frozen thawed my little one in the first week already took a pinkie from me. Had to poke her a little with it and then she just took it as slow and gentle as can be. So thankfully already got one that likes mice so totally recommend captive bred and already eating frozen thawed.

3 Likes

Calico Dominican red mountain boa.
Not my pic but wow would this be epic to have.

5 Likes

Haha, donā€™t I know it. My previous roommate got a large male ball python as a re-homeā€¦and I was so jealous that when I heard about someone needing to re-home their sand boa, I jumped at the chance. Then I loved the sand boa so much that I decided to get another snake about a year later. Iā€™d always wanted a blood python and finally felt like I was in a good place where it was a realistic option for me, so I got myself the normal female blood of my dreams. Now I love the blood python so much that Iā€™m planning for my third snake once sheā€™s grown up a bit. You can see the pattern thatā€™s developing. :rofl:

3 Likes

I saw pictures of those when I was researching the species, that morph is so crazy beautiful! Itā€™s like a cow retic, except better.

I also read that they (the calico morph) were crazy hard to findā€¦so given their rarity and high demand, I can pretty much guarantee that even if I could find one, it would be far too expensive for me to ever afford. Iā€™d probably have to go for a normal, or perhaps splurge on the extra-red variety. But I love the fact that an animal like the calico even exists.

Thanks for your info on the species. They sound like they could be manageable for me, and theyā€™re certainly beautiful snakes (even the wild types) ā€¦although not gonna lie, I donā€™t love the sound of pee that dries like cement. Is there anything you can do to make it easier to clean up, like a substrate that absorbs it or a cleaning product that softens it? Or do you just have to stay on top of cleaning so you can catch it before it dries? Do they let loose this nightmare pee often?

3 Likes

How dare you! :joy:

Imo cow is the superior retic and I would love one, one dayā€¦ If they can ya know, make a dwarf or super dwarf oneā€¦ omgā€¦ :face_holding_back_tears:

3 Likes

Donā€™t get me wrong, cow retics are incredible, but Iā€™m a big fan of red, especially when combined with black, so for me, a white snake with black and red polka dots wins out over a white snake with just black polka dots. Sorry not sorry. :yum:

That said, I would loveloveLOVE a super dwarf cow retic. Omg that would be amazing. Iā€™d sell my kidney for one of those (which would be quite a sacrifice, as I only have one kidney to begin with :rofl:).

2 Likes

Unfortunately yes they do like to pee alot. But they also from what I have heard like to do it in there water bowl.
Smooth pvc type material with a substrate I would think dirt or coco fiber for quick take away and replacement would work. Right now I just have the baby on non adhesive shelf liner in her cage with 2 big water bowls and numerous easy clean hides. So will just toss the shelf liner out and replace it. Seems that it just cements on really quick and easy and the dollar general has it cheaper then brawny paper towels. Will switch it when it gets into an adult cage but got time. Best part and the worst is that they are active snakes. Inquisitive that like to check things out. They also have a high metabolism so are active and like to eat. So they like to relieve themselves alot too. Once or twice a week.
I really wonder if the super dwarf retic guys who love retics because of there intelligence might also like the Hispaniola boa as well. But yeah the pee sucks lol

4 Likes

That is THE calico DRMB I believe. I donā€™t know if it ever reproduced or is even still alive. I havenā€™t seen a new picture of it in years. Most of the pictures floating around are 8-10 years old and it was decent sized then.

4 Likes

@erie-herps Sorry missed your question! I like 6-8ā€™ by 3ā€™ for anything over 10-12 feet. If you can do 4ā€™ deep that would be good also but I have t-Rex arms, so too deep is a no for mešŸ˜ƒ super dwarf over 6ā€™ I use a 4ā€™ by 32ā€ that should be good for most high percentage sds. Right now I have a almost 2 year old jaguar, het. Purple, het. Anthrax in a 41q rack, she has just moved up to 1 med. rat a week and is not quite ready for her new 2x4 enclosure yet. She is a slender almost 6ā€™ girl. Probably by the winter she will make the move. Weird thing about retics, we all know they are active animals but they are all individuals, and still need to feel secure. My big girl who has never rubbed a day in her life, hated when I tried to upgrade her to a larger cage, rubbed would not relax pushing on every corner, so for now she is in her old cage. I am going to add a shelf to the larger cage, hopefully she will feel more secure, and try again. Also some like hides, but a lot wonā€™t use them, my sd feels more comfortable with 1/2 his front glass covered, cause he will blast it all the time if he sees a shadow, me or ? Weird my small sd is the most food/cage aggressive one I gotšŸ˜ƒ but has never bit me even when a baby as long as I show him a hook to get him out of that mode. Thatā€™s why retics can make such exciting snakes to work with, their individual, different personalities.

3 Likes

If I were to ever get a full size mainland retic, I would personally keep it in at least a 10ft long by 6ft deep and probably 6ft high (maybe bigger if it seems a bit small for the snake in question and doesnā€™t let them stretch out enough). Despite the fact people usually keep them in rather small enclosures without much room for proper enrichment or exercise. You of course have a bit of time before needing that large of space. Also, if you want to do a naturalistic enclosure with a large water area you could go bigger. Because I know that I personally wouldnā€™t be able to provide exactly what I want for them, I will only ever get a super dwarf. Even then the enclosure would need to be big, and something I would build myself. They are too active and intelligent of a snake for me to be happy putting them in a small box.

2 Likes

Yeah, the issue of how big an enclosure snakes, especially larger snakes, actually need seems to be something of debate within the snake-keeping community. Plenty of very experienced keepers say their large constrictors do very well in smaller enclosures, while others insist that snakes need to have space to stretch out and are horrified by the notion of keeping a large snake in a relatively small enclosure.

I generally tend to lean in the direction of giving them more space, but I freely admit that my opinion is probably coloured by years of working with lizards and mammals, where bigger usually is better. Ultimately I think that an enclosure of any size only works if a) the snake can feel secure (whether thatā€™s achieved by a smaller enclosure, or a larger enclosure with lots of cover and hides) and b) the keeper can keep it clean. And Iā€™m sure individual snakes can have preferences one way or the other as well. Though at least in general, I feel like more space with proper cover and hides for security is probably better, provided the keeper is able to keep it clean.

2 Likes

pulp fiction check out the big brain on brett GIF
Well put! @jawramik and just like most other things, there may not be just 1 correct way to keep your reptiles. I definitely have respect for people who want to do naturalistic, or even bioactive enclosures, I really prefer to make sure everything is easily cleanable and easy to see if there is any issues. I think as long as you have some knowledge, experience and the well being of your pet as a priority you can make whatever way to care for them work for you. I also agree with @ashleyraeanne about providing enrichment for your snakes, especially active species like the retic., but this too can be done many ways, such as handling, letting them loose in a room(with your supervision of course!) ect. Here is a pic I just took of my mainland in her smaller enclosure, that she feels comfortable in. Still plenty of room and she is a spoiled princess around here, always coming out of her cage to say hellošŸ˜ƒ I always help/answer questions with honesty and things that I have personal experience with. Everyone is definitely entitled to there own way of doing things for sure! Have a good onešŸ‘

3 Likes

@banereptiles Iā€™ve always wondered about how mainland keepers are able to keep snakes that large, especially breeders. I think itā€™s very dependant on the individual snake, like how you mentioned your female does better in a smaller enclosure. Thanks for the response, itā€™s very informative!

@ashleyraeanne I agree that an enclosure that size is the ideal enclosure for a snake that size, but thatā€™s very hard for most people to provide. For example, my local zoo doesnā€™t even have an enclosure that large (itā€™s about 8ā€™x4-5ā€™ for the display enclosure and about 8ā€™x2ā€™ for the off-exhibit enclosure, neither with good climbing opportunities or cover), zoos donā€™t usually have the best care but they have a lot more resources and money than most hobbyists to work with. I would only get a mainland if I had the space and resources to potentially provide a ~8-10ā€™x4ā€™x6ā€™ enclosure, or something around there.

@jawramik I think youā€™re spot on, I think the main factor of enclosure size is the individual snake itself, some might be very active and need a large enclosure and climbing opportunities, while others will be too stressed and prefer a smaller enclosure.

3 Likes

I currently have my sand boa in an enclosure thatā€™s a good deal bigger than whatā€™s normally recommended. Part of that is just because sheā€™s an adult female at the larger end of the size spectrum, but sheā€™s also very active. She used every inch of the 30"x12"x12" tank she came to me in and wasnā€™t able to fully stretch out along the long side, as sheā€™s over 30" long. I upgraded her to a 36"x18"x12" PVC enclosure, which I felt was a decent upgrade in floor space, and she uses every inch of that as well.

My blood python isā€¦well, a blood python, so sheā€™s not terribly active, but she does move around her enclosure some, and I often find her resting stretched out either diagonally or along the long side of her tub. For that reason, Iā€™m leaning towards getting her an adult enclosure thatā€™s a little bigger than the 4ā€™x2ā€™ footprint thatā€™s normally recommended for short tails. She doesnā€™t seem to have any interest in using traditional hides, but she seems to feel safe and secure so long as she has enough loose substrate to burrow in and some cover and clutter to hide in.

With a snake like a boa or SD retic, Iā€™d also probably try to go larger than whatā€™s normally recommended. Iā€™m especially interested in experimenting with giving them some extra height and climbing opportunities, as Iā€™ve read that many of them seem to appreciate having the option to get up off the ground. But ultimately itā€™s going to come down to the individual snake and what they seem to need or want to be comfortable in their home.

None of this is meant to be any sort of sleight against anyone who keeps their snakes in smaller enclosures. Itā€™s worth noting that I donā€™t have a huge collection, so I have the extra time to dedicate to keeping larger and more elaborate enclosures clean. The largest, most elaborate enclosure on Earth isnā€™t worth a damn if the animal doesnā€™t feel safe and secure in it, and/or if theyā€™re living in filth because their keeper is unable or unwilling to keep it clean. Ultimately the best enclosure is whatever works best for the individual animal and their keeper.

My main limitation on enclosure size is just that I donā€™t have loads of space, which is partially why Iā€™m aiming to get some of the larger species on my wishlist sooner rather than later. Once I have staked out the space for the larger enclosures, I figure I can fill in whatever gaps are left by slotting in smaller enclosures for smaller species, haha.

3 Likes

Ugh, I think Iā€™m going to need to ban myself from browsing in the marketplace until Iā€™m actually ready to get my next snake, because while looking at boas this afternoon during some downtime at work, it took SO MUCH self-control to not send inquiries about a few gorgeous ones. There were even a couple from breeders that are within driving distance from me.

But now is not the right time. I need to be responsible. I need to not impulse-buy a large constrictor just because itā€™s pretty. (Do you think Iā€™ll start believing that if I keep repeating it to myself? :joy:)

4 Likes

Tell us which ones!!

3 Likes

Ugh, I was afraid youā€™d ask me that, haha. Now I have to go look at them again and exercise that willpower all over again!

ā€¦and those are just the ones with leopard in them. I find that I really love boas with sort of unusual, irregular patterns, and leopard, even when itā€™s het, seems to be in the mix with a lot of animals that have lot of cool, unique patterning.

6 Likes

Beautiful choices! Canā€™t wait to see what you go with lol :joy:.

4 Likes

Oh man, retics definitely do pee a lot!!! Mine usually goes on his warm side and I use a peepee pad for puppies. Easier to keep clean.

2 Likes