Help me identify rats or mice?

Bought some rats pup from local store, a pretty good review reptile store with Live/Frozen mice and rats.

But I’m confused why rats pup can have these many fur and look so grown-up. Are these really rats or adult mice.

The weight are between 20-30gram tho.

Since I know many people buying feeder from the store and the bag also labeled rats pup. Just wanna confirm if anyone can really tell a difference between rats and mice

1 Like

They look like rat pups to me :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Thanks!! I have been feeding rats pup from another supply before. They look very younge more like a fuzzy but still fall under 20-30gram

2 Likes

The ones in the frozen state look like pups to me as well. Or even more on the weaned side

2 Likes

the smallest is around 22gram. biggest is 30gram yep but they all look the same and have many fur. As long as they are rats I won’t worry too much. Since I really can’t tell difference bt mice and rats

1 Like

Some vendors size their rats a bit differently. I agree they just look slightly older so closer to weaning than pup rats.

5 Likes

Oh that makes sense. Even from that pack some of them are only 21gram but still has a grown-up look.

1 Like

I am so glad you asked that question because I too ended up with what must be weaned rats instead of rat pups. Thank you! :pray:

3 Likes

I saw the weaned rats in the store when I bought these pups, they just bigger/thicker and weight more than those pups.

2 Likes

Did you weigh them? It looks like small rats I feed Hayley.

3 Likes

Yes, they are between 20g-30g, max is 29.9gram, smallest is 21g

2 Likes

Less than a a small rat. 40g usually.

2 Likes

Main thing is to gauge thickness of the snake.

2 Likes

40gram sounds more like a wean rats

2 Likes

Again. Sizes vary from vendor to vendor. Here’s the breakdown for Layne Labs. 40g+ is small.

4 Likes

Those are rats.

4 Likes