Help! Need inspo!

So I got a ball python from someone who wanted to rehome him. He came with his tank, hides, ect. Well his enclosure is rather…lack luster. The tank is cracked on one side with cardboard taped to it to prevent him from hurting himself, the enclosure is to small for him, and his hides are kinda plain (just cardboard). I’m really wanting to give him a more enriched environment. So I’m planning on getting a new enclosure and creating a whole new environment. I would really appreciate some inspo! What do you use for an enclosure for your ball python? What size is it? What does it look like? I’d love to see some pictures :black_heart::snake:

Yeah, def replace the enclosure. I like to give my snakes multiple hides and climbs. Keep in mind BPs will spend most of their days hiding. Try and give them hides and climbs on both sides of the tank. Larger hides like my caves should be filled with 3-4 inches of substrate so the snake can burrow beneath it and feel secure. Keep in mind in the wild they spend most of their time in burrows or under debris.
My normal BPs enclosure. She spends most of her time in her cave. Her second fave spot is in the vines under the climbs. She has never used her small log hide. I leave it just to create over/under activity while she does her laps

My albinos set up. She spends 99% of her time in her large hide. Will occasionally lay on her small hide. Spends no time at all in her jungle or on her climbs. No direct light for her to save her eyesight. A few bits of advice. Buy an infrared thermometer so you can accurately and easily temp anywhere inside your emclosure and hides. Also use a tank liner on the bottom of your tank it will be a huge benefit to your BP when it molts. Use ceramic heat emitters instead of lightbulbs so your snakes arent illuminated 24/7

1 Like

You’ll notice the digital hygrometers in my albinos tank. I bought a multi pack for $15 dollars. I can put around a tank while changing water and get accurate humidty reading from multiple points

These encloseres are both 30x12x12. They are the enclosures I will use for the next 18 months or so. My snakes are only 22 & 18 inch juveniles. A mature BP would be cramped in these and most of the decor would just be in the way. They will both be moved into 48x36x36 in time

Thank you! I have other snakes so I know the basics, but as I’ve been researching I’ve noticed alot of people butt heads on almost all reptile husbandry. I really want to make him an awesome enclosure he will enjoy being in!

You are very correct. For everyone that tells you that you are doing something right there is another person telling you its wrong. There definitely is a split amongst the display/hobby approach and the rack em and stack em in tupperware breeders.
Early on I was told “As long as your snakes are eating you are doing something right” For me I just want my tanks visually appealing and functional until they are outgrown and I want my snakes healthy and happy. I think with time I will use these enclosures for milk snakes.

As someone that is firmly in the rack camp, I’ll chime in. Most of the stuff people throw in their aquarium/terrariums/vivariums or whatever you want to call them is for you, not the snake. All this garbage about enrichment or whatever term they want to you use is to cover up anthropomorphizing their snake end of story. These animals have specific needs that have to be met same as any other biological organism.

With that being said if you are meeting the needs of the animal in question and feel the need to throw a bunch of frilly things in with it, as long as they don’t pose a risk to the health and safety of the animal, GO FOR IT. As long as you are meeting the needs of the animals in your care and they are thriving anyone that tells you you are wrong for keeping them the way you do can feel free to do 20 deep knee bends over a fire hydrant.

Neither method is 100% perfect as long as you understand both the needs and how to read the animals behavior and adapt accordingly the rest is philosophical differences of opinion, not facts based on the animal ecology.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

5 Likes

Thank you for your input, its always interesting to hear another persons perspective. I personally believe snakes should have a big enclosure with many hiding spots, all the essentials (hydrometer, heat mat with thermostat, temp gun, ect,ect) and most importantly enrichment. Things to climb on, hide under, smell, ect. Snakes are smart and enjoy different smells, textures, and hiding spots. I think people who keep rack systems are doing it for themselves more so than the snake. They most likely have quite a few snakes and and having racks makes it easier to clean, they will be able to fit more snakes in a smaller area and its cheaper to maintain. I dont mind people using them if they are ethical breeders, a reptile rescue, or any other temporary housing situation but I definitely dont think its suitable for personal/companion pets. I’m looking to give my snakes enclosures that they can enjoy and explore so I was curious on what kind of setups other BP owners have incase I saw something that my baby boy might also enjoy.

Yep. Probably the only thing about this that triggers me personally. It’s your snake. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with saying I want a good looking enclosure to enjoy viewing them in. Nothing wrong with it at all. As long as their basic needs are met go for it.

But no one says that, everyone says it’s for the snakes enjoyment and on and on (as if they tell you) then it turns to criticizing those who don’t provide the same level of “enrichment.”

That doesn’t make them smart. If that’s the bar for “intelligence,” then that’s too low.

Interesting how from my perspective it’s the exact same with the “enrichment” crowd. :rofl:
We are all different individuals, we can interpret the same info and arrive at different conclusions.

100%, great way to sum it up.

Im kind of in the middle on the topic. For me, I enjoy the visual appearance of my tanks. And for smaller, more active snakes I think they can benefit from that approach. But as my snakes grow I know a lot of the filler in the tank will just be in their way. My next set of enclosures will be larger and much less cluttered. More like dens for them to live in and their time out of the enclosures will be their “enrichment” time.
In the long run they are reptiles. They live on instinct. Eat, mate, avoid predation and they are as “happy” as they can be. Tub life might not look comfortable to us but an unmolested snake in a burrow (even a plastic one) with food and water is a happy snake.