Help needed to identify pythons

I like to think about it like this, in most places there is a cooler period of the year. even if it is just 80 degrees in summer down to 75 in winter, they still have periods of cooler temps. Heat mats on the other hand can easily get to 140 degrees or more. The burns, dehydration, and other issues of an unregulated heatmat are not worth the “benefits” of heat.

I agree with everything else you said but this is by far the most important.

2 Likes

They need height too not just length. They climb. Atleast 3/4ft high imo, if you can go higher. Then do! X

A friend used to have one, always sat up top and climbed. Was amazing :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like

For carpets. Dont use heat mats.
Heat lamp up top, lighting etc. x

1 Like

Heat mats, I’m coming away from. I had one under the hoggie enclosure this year that set alight. She was fine luckily and someone was home too thank god.
Also Defo not inside. Can burn the snake.

But all mine ate going over to heat lamps now. Not worth the Risk after that. Scared the heck out of me!

1 Like

Thank you for all the replies you’ve all been really helpful. The heat pads sadly are inside the vivs so I’ve switched them off as the room is warm when the heating is on anyway and the state of the glass is how they have been living and the time not put into them but at least they are both feeding really well. One is male and the other is female that’s all the previous owner could tell me but the male has clear neurological issues, the female hasn’t from what I’ve witnessed (she’s the darker one). I’m based North Nottinghamshire

3 Likes

Are you able to take them out at all or are the physical attached to the bottom?

2 Likes

Not sure yet my main thing was to get them fed yesterday but they are underneath all the substrate so I can’t see the mats never mind if stuck down or not but the holes got wiring are drilled through the top and side of the viva so look to of been in there along time

1 Like

Defo need viv upgrades and heat lamps, lighting, branches, plants. Go fully bio for them, it’s best :black_heart:
Passionate snakes if you take a look has some amazing vivs :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Carpets are known to have neuro issues unfortunately, it’s sad but they can still live a decent life if eating etc as should.

If you can’t provide big setups with height, id look at rehoming, but looks like you’re happy sorting? :smiling_face:
I’m uk too so can always help you search. X

1 Like

Carpets themselves are not. It is the jaguar morph that causes the neuro issues.

2 Likes

Yeah I know that, that’s what everyone was talking about :sweat_smile:
So I said they’re known to have neuro issues,
Op will understand haha.

1 Like

They are definitely Jaguar Carpet Pythons the male looks to be a caramel or similar to that as he’s alot lighter then the female but that’s at a guess. I’m rehoming them i would rather they go to a snake pro so to speak as much as I love them I don’t have the time or expert knowledge on this type am just doing my best with them until they go. So what’s the next step that I need to do is it advertise them I’ve never used this site before although have to say it’s brilliant wish I’d found it sooner I love looking at all the different reptiles there’s so many :smiley:

1 Like

You can list them on MM, you will need to create a selling account,
Explain that you rescued them, and are rehoming. Explain they need big vivs etc and ask to see setups before letting go too as so many keep on small vivs. X

1 Like

The jag morph has huge variations in color so a clearer picture would be needed to tell for sure.

1 Like

Ah… That makes it difficult for me because I do not know any carpet keepers across the pond… @eaglereptiles might however

And even then I would not feel comfortable without first breeding it out and then counter-pairing. There are a number of other mutations that can give a similar phenotype to Caramel. Like wise, crosses to others in the carpet complex can give rise to a lighter phenotype. And, as always, there is the vaguery of simple natural variation

If you only call them what you absolutely know - Jag - then you are safe

4 Likes

I meant more ruling it out not actually identifying it. My brain moves too fast for my hands and things will come out different than I meant :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That’s what I thought it’s just guesswork and I wouldn’t want to do that as I don’t think that’s right so will set up account and get some photos of them out of the tank and go from there but will state what the situation is and hopefully find them the best home asap

1 Like

I will happily take any assistance right now as I just want them to be ok and in proper homes. The female is in the larger viv it’s the male that’s in the small one but he’s always curled up under his log hut. They are well fed and watered and not so active now I just think they get easily stressed with being mistreated i feel so sorry for them. I’m going to try get them out tomorrow and get some photos of them and clean out vivs as I don’t know how long it will take to find them a new home/s and well you’ve seen the state of glass alone I can’t leave them like that. Can I ask what is the best substrate to put down and i will get the heat pads out if i can but they are switched of for now as that rooms warm with hearing in anyway. What temperature should the heat mats be on please and for how long and do I put the whole mat under tank out half the tank with the male in with it being small? Thank you guys

1 Like

There are plenty of others here with knowledge about these types of pythons but the under tank heat mats should be under around one third of the tank.

God bless you for rescuing these animals. They certainly do deserve good homes! :pray::heart:

1 Like

So here are better pictures of the two and I’ve done an advert but hardly getting any interest at no is it a bad time for reptiles as well as a lot of other pets so many ending up in rescue at moment it’s so sad. Is it worth trying local reptile shops is this something they can help with?

3 Likes

Aw man they are gorgeous! They look so much better! You are doing right by them.

You might check area pet stores and maybe area reptile vets may be able to connect you with someone who would want to take them…

It’s too bad because they really are nice! :pray:

1 Like