Help! New beardie not eating

Hi guys, I just got a bearded dragon for the first time and am confused as to why he’s not eating. He has a hot spot of 92 degrees with UVB and a cool side of 80 degrees. I read online that adult bearded dragons can be fed on a “rotation” cycle of 1-day insects then 1-day salad then nothing. I have offered him dubia roaches and live crickets but nothing, when I hold them up to his face he just closes his eyes and ignores them. Then the next day I offered him a salad consisting of collards, dandelion greens, watercress, acorn squash, and sugar snaps but also had no interest. He does look kind of thin in his hips and rib areas but I don’t know what they are supposed to look like, and I keep witnessing him opening his mouth for a second and then closing it when I’m around him or even more so when I took him out. I do not know bearded dragon behavior that well so I assumed at first this was a behavior he was doing because he was upset, but he keeps doing it, and I’m starting to worry he is sick.
Thank you for any advice in advance

We fed veg/bugs every day when we had them, as does a mate who breeds.

Any pics of set up? How long have you had him? Any pics?

2 Likes

I can get pics when I get home later, and I have had him for around 4 days.

He might be offput by his new surroundings? Try letting him settle in. No handling. Perhaps a lower temp? I know most folks will suggest the temps you offer, but our dragon has likely never even seen 92F. Our cool side could dip to lower 70s. Flokei seems happy.
I will say this, though, if your dragon has no interest in chasing down crickets, something ain’t right! A visit to a vet might be in order.

1 Like

Personally, I do not feel that 92 degrees is hot enough for the basking spot. I’d bump it up to 100. In my dragon enclosures, the cool end is more like 80. Also, they should be fed every day.

4 Likes

Make sure to leave him alone no handling also what’s the substrate? It could be impaction