Help sex this little ksb please!

Her papers said one year old female, but I would just like some confirmation

2 Likes

Welcome to the community! Unfortunately, simply looking at the appearance of a young sand boa isn’t the definitive way to determine its sex. The simplest most accurate way for young sand boas would likely be palpating to feel for the presence or absence hemipenes. Of course you can always wait until it reaches adulthood and have a very good idea visually since KSBs are sexually dimorphic; if it gets over 300 grams, it’s more than likely female.

3 Likes

Thank you for the help! What do hemipines feel like? PS autocorrect really wanted to say heavybeans

How I do it is supporting the majority of the snake with one hand, and holding it nearly upside down (dorsal end toward the ground). With the opposite hand from the one supporting the snake, I take my thumb and index finger placing one on the vent and one on the spine opposite of the vent. Applying gentle pressure, run the finger or thumb you have on the vent toward the tail. About halfway or three-quarters of the way toward the tail tip, you should feel a very small bead/bb type thing (or two) that your finger or thumb somewhat “clicks” over. The small bead/bb or click feel are the hemipenes of a male. If you just feel a “valley” then hemipenes are likely absent, indicating female.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @sirtartcibe! That’s a very nice little sand boa you’ve got there! This is a great place to be for reptile enthusiasts! :blush:

Thank you for the warm welcome! I’ve been in the hobby for a little over a year and somehow never got on here, I’m already loving the community

1 Like

Okay I gave it a shot and I did feel a bump almost directly under the vent. Their tail is very squat so it’s difficult to say

1 Like

Such a neat snake! I had bred ksb in 00’-05’ and just started getting a couple pairs again. May even have a litter this season, exciting.
Really think you got a male there. Female tails are noticeably short when ya have one to compare to but even at that, tail probably an inch on him? I have two similarly sized boys and that’s about what they are long. Here’s a shot some 2 y/o… normal is female(right) snow is male(left).

2 Likes