Help! Snake sitting some unfamiliar species

@noodlehaus I just hope when they do go back home they’ll be well cared for and handled some. You are certainly doing their owner a favor! The little carpet gal is very pretty. I have shied away from them because of their spicy temperament.
:blush::wink::frog::lizard::snake::upside_down_face:

2 Likes

They’re welcome here as long as it takes their owner to get life settled after some major upheaval. Stuff happens, I’ll be doing my best to help make the Carpet more handleable while she’s here, since I have previous experience with spicy (my boy Comet still gets me from time to time, it’s just how he is). While I’d likely never personally own a python, she’s still getting the princess treatment, even if I end up taking a bite or several.

4 Likes

Aaaawwwww! I love it! :heart:

2 Likes

This is a great suggestion as well that I should have remembered. I used to do this with my blackhead, she was crazy food oriented and would bite anything that came into her cage. But if I just opened the door and let her come out on her own she was a baby doll

4 Likes

24 hours out from feeding, hotspot is about 90ºF, ambient on the cooler side is measuring 81ºF. Idk the exact temps the KSBs are at, but they’re warm enough that I don’t see them as often as I did before. No one has regurged, the space heater is doing a wonderful job keeping the area around the enclosures warmer. Another positive is that we’re getting our propane tank refilled, which means less heat rationing/warmer overall house temperatures.

I plan to start working on handling tomorrow, giving her a solid 48 hours to digest before introducing any new stressors. Thank you so much @snaxxs & @t_h_wyman for the tips, it has really helped me dial in her care.

4 Likes

@noodlehaus Guess what I am adopting…… a Kenyan sand boa! My vet tech friend at the clinic takes in sick/ailing reptiles, rehabs them and then adopt them out. He is approximately 7 months old. I am excited! I will post a picture of him when I get him settled……. :lizard::snake::frog:

4 Likes

Congrats! I hope you enjoy your new little one! They’re quite the interesting creatures.

2 Likes

Hooray for rescuing, rehabbing and rehoming! Hooray for you, @caron. Looking forward to pics!

3 Likes

This is really just beautiful. Truly. Been a pretty hectic time here lately, it’s storming now, and I thought I’d check the communitybetween weather updates. I’m glad I did because this makes my heart smile. :heart:

3 Likes

I know life is stressful, so as someone with space & free time, I try to help where I can.

I hope everything with moving, weather, snakes, and life in general calms down for you soon! :blue_heart:

2 Likes

You’re a good friend.

Thanks, Jess, for the wishes for me. I have faith that God has things in His hands and thie wrinkles in our life smooth out soon. And if His plans involve more lasting wrinkles, I still have faith that He’s got things in His hands.

2 Likes

A positive update for this evening:

The session ended when she peed on me, but I did not get bitten or musked on, so it’s a win.

5 Likes

@caryl Just remember that nothing ever touches us that doesn’t pass through God’s Hands :raised_hands: first.

I am so grateful that He has led me to this forum and to others who believe in Him and are not afraid to say it out loud (text)! I am not talking about religious debates or anything like that. I am just talking about being able to say His Name!

@caryl @noodlehaus Both of you have warmed my heart :heart:!

Thank you :pray:!

2 Likes

Today I cleaned out the Carpet’s enclosure & rearranged things. Discovered she’s got a bit of a wobble/head tilt, which I assume is because she looks to my untrained eye to have the Jaguar gene (I do know she’s also Caramel). Only really shows up when she’s stressed. Had another handling session and gave her a rat pup as a reward, which seems to be the appropriate feeder size.

So far she’s still very cagey about being handled, and does try to musk on me now and again. Calms down a lot quicker, now, however. I’m trying to keep the initial sessions short so she doesn’t get too freaked out, slowly extending the time each day.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, this animal is 100% a Jag, no ifs, ands, or buts about it

4 Likes

Glad to know I can at least identify that. Owner was unaware of the wobble, so I did pass the information on. I had always wondered if there was something up with her, as when she holds her head up, it’s often slightly tilted to one side. Quirky little spitfire. After I realized there might be a neuro component to her behaviour, I started handling her a bit differently. Making a point to lift her from underneath and support her whole body has made a massive difference in how fast she settles down.

4 Likes

Aaawwwww! You are making tons of progress with her! :blush::wink::frog::lizard::snake:

3 Likes

The owner of these lovelies and I went to an expo today with a goal: enrichment. Picked up a large piece of spider wood for the Carpet, which she immediately made herself cozy on after it was put in the enclosure. Gives her the ability to use a bit more of the vertical space and alter her proximity to her basking lamps.

6 Likes

She’ll love that, mine always do. Carpets are as arboreal as you allow them to be. She looks like a yearlingish caramel jag. Just curious & always hungry right now, she’ll chill out fast. Enjoy her, great pet species.

This boy was my 1st, he’s a grampa now.

6 Likes

That’s a gorgeous photo!

2 Likes