HELP! Something came out of my leopard geckos vent

I have a leopard gecko who’s a rescue… she has severe MBD and not very many toes from stuck shed (not from me this happened before I got her) and today she had a piece of stuck shed by her vent that I saw and tried to help get it off and she started pulling at it and something came out. I’m not sure what it is any ideas? Or what I should do?

2 Likes

Your gecko appears to be male, and it looks like a hemipenal plug came out alongside the stuck shed skin. If I am correct, there is nothing to worry about. If anything further appears to be wrong, you can always take him to a reptile vet.

5 Likes

We were wondering if she was — he — because of the MBD it’s difficult but good to know ty!

1 Like

I agree, it looks like a sperm plug. I’ve never seen or heard of them in leos but they look the same as in ball pythons so I don’t think it’s anything to worry about.

2 Likes

It doesn’t seem to happen as often as in some other species, but I’ve had one male get one during the breeding season. At first I was worried when it happened too, because I hadn’t seen them before in leos, but my little guy (Edward) was back to normal immediately afterwards.

2 Likes