Help with cage surfing boa

Need advice on my BCI. Have a female Kahl Sunglow, 4yrs old, 5ft+. In the last 4 months or so cage surfing/pressing on the doors to get out. To the point she has a nose rub now. This behavior is often if she is out and about. Ill open the door, she’ll hang out, tap her all good, pick her up. Eats fine, large rats every 7-10 days. Disposition is great. In a 4’x2’x15" cage on shredded coconut. Radiant heat. Ambient 81 cool side, 85 warm, hot spot at 90.( i have toyed back and forth with making it warmer/cooler, still same activity, does get cooler at night). 55-65 humidity. I do use forrest level uvb lighting. Large hide on cool side. Normal tongue flick, looks normal. I have a male, a good bit smaller, identical conditions but no cage surfing. Only difference from several months ago…exterior environmental conditions and switched to shredded coconut from fir bark. Also soaked her in case of compaction, had been awhile, but went. Perhaps I need a larger cage. Thoughts?
Jeff

5 Likes

That’s often a tough situation to get to the bottom of. Can be so many different factors. I have a male breeder that will rub his nose till its swollen come breeding time, but otherwise doesn’t. Have another that does it if she spills her water.

The cool end ambient is a bit warmer than I like to keep it, but it’s within a suitable range. You could try switching out the coco husk, could be she just doesn’t like it.

I wish you luck.

5 Likes

My boas are on clean unprinted newspaper. I also agree with @randall_turner_jr about heat. My boas heat is set at 85 on the warm side and no higher than that. Also maybe you should move your male to another room if at all possible. But I would definitely change her substrate to something smooth.

Keep us updated and a warm welcome to the family! This is a great place to be!!! :heart::blush::frog::lizard::snake:

3 Likes

Thanks. Its actually the ground coconut, almost like dirt. But again, wasnt like that with the fir bark

3 Likes

It kind of sounds like the behavior ramped up with the change in external environment. If it just the glass, try covering it and seeing if she mellows out? Sounds like you’re using bedding, give her enough to burrow. Might take her attention off the glass. From there I’d just experiment with possibly turning UVB lights off ect and see if there is something she is trying to avoid.

4 Likes

Appreciate it, thanks.

3 Likes

I have had a snake that started complaining like that to me due to the terrarium itself in the past. He’s also 5+ and the cage was 4x2x2 in dimensions. But it was a 120gal fish tank set on it’s side, not a pvc terrarium. I think he didn’t like his because on its side or not, the ventilation of the mesh lid was too much. Humidity flowed out entirely unrestricted. I actually had to move him into something slightly smaller but with a better insulation/ventilation balance to get him to stop.

It could be the temp range, humidity fluctuations, something hormonal, an illness or medical distress that you can’t see, usually minor, I’ve even had it be a cleanliness thing in the past. Since she’s eating fine i would probably rule out medical distress, cleanliness is probably not the issue either, i would be curious to see if the uvb might have something to do with it. It would really depend on what other signs are present.

3 Likes

Thanks. I might just clean it out and go back to fir bark and see what happens.

4 Likes