Help with morph identification

I bought this guy as a baby from a local reptile shop as a Carmel Bloodred. What do you all think? With every shed hes getting a bit oranger. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Not a Caramel, sorry. The sides are not very diffused but the belly does say that Diffused is present. Bloodred and Diffused are often used interchangeably but animals commonly considered to be a great example of Bloodred also have several other genes involved, Redcoat or Red Factor and Masque usually, so Bloodred now is generally used for lines and individual snakes that have those other genes present as well and Diffused is used for the single gene. Based on that, I’d call that one a Diffused.

1 Like

Thank you for your input. So other than Diffused what else so you see in him if anything?

I don’t see anything else, just Diffused.

Reminds me of my own mystery boy. Bought him as a normal. He’s anything but with a pure white belly that gradually turns into something resembling gray gravel.

4 Likes

How interesting…he doesn’t bite down as he coils?

Nope and sometimes doesn’t coil either just opens mouth and waits for me to shove it in like he’s still a hatchling.

1 Like

Haha that’s funny. Hes sorta like a big scaly baby

1 Like

Zeus is my biggest derp boy. He will get his head just right and angle it so he can flick his tongue through the hole in the tub. Anytime I open it up he just sticks his head out to watch what’s going on. His genes are a complete mystery, his personality is amazing. Can’t wait to breed him.

2 Likes

I have a female Lesser ball python that has never struck at prey. had me worried for a few months but I have learned to just lay the rat across her back and she will wrap it (no biting), “kill” it for a good 10 minutes then start eating.

@greendiego Very cute snake! I second him just being Diffused. For sure no caramel.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s pretty weird. It’s cool to see how everyone’s snakes eat so differently. Personally, my snakes just eat like your average snake except one female I have. She is 7 years old and she will only eat frozen thawed but only if I dry it off. She will not eat a somewhat wet rat or a live one.

2 Likes

Thanks all for the input. I figured he was diffused cuz of the belly but its looking less like a carmel with every shed. On the topic of eating, this little guy just swallows fuzzies alive head first every time!

1 Like

That’s a great sign. He’ll be a awesome adult if hes eating like that as a baby

1 Like