Help with pos Bateaters

Hi I was wondering if anyone has experience with Hybrid Bateaters my Female Granite Burm Athena 5yrs old was kept with my Male Dwarf Platinum Retic Zeus 5 yrs old for around a month due to a broken viv I put them together as they get along and was my only option at the time as my Female Dwarf Tiger Retic Hera 4 yrs old did not accept Zeus in Her viv so he went into Athenas viv which tbh Is my largest viv at the time around 8ft wide by 8ft tall and 3ft deep I did notice them locking a few times but I thought that the chance of a hybrid was slim at best however now Athena hasnt accepted food for around 2 months and normally she is a beast for food she staying in the cool end and hisses madly if i touch her so I havent been able to run my hands down her back end to confirm if she is Gravid I have put a laying box in the viv just incase but any help or suggestion and if someone could tell me the timeline of laying ect

9 Likes

So anytime you are dealing with a hybrid you should always go off the females species when it comes to laying, incubation time, ect. Probably not always perfect, but it’s the most accurate we can get. In this case you will go off the Burmese, so have you seen a ovulation? They will usually do a pre lay shed around 20 days give or take after ovulating. Then around 30 days after she should lay. Incubate like a Burmese 87-90 degrees Fahrenheit 55-70 days. Hope you got lucky, I think they look very cool!:+1:

10 Likes

Hopefully some platinum Bateaters! Definitely, keep us updated!

6 Likes

Thanks for the info im keeping a close watch and have purchased appropriate incubating rubs heater and thermostat and hatchrite just incase I have just purchased a new baby retic so I am not sure how many eggs if any I get to actually incubate due to space ect I dont know if Bateaters are generally wanted I know they are rare and the only one on Morph Market is phew so expensive but that looks to be a sub adult anyways many thanks again ill keeo you updated I know for sure I would keep 1 or 2 maybe a male and female if it comes to that lol.

8 Likes

Well I would incubate them all, they might not be as fertile as a non hybrid breeding, (in fact you may have a lot of slugs to begin with)and see how many do develop. Also I am sure if you twist my arm and @lumpy we would gladly take 1 from ya!:rofl:

7 Likes

If he can get into Florida, yep I would love one lol :joy:

5 Likes

Wonder if Hybrids are exempt from the invasive species thingy as they are not either burms or retics lol and as far as I can tell it doesnt seem to matter what genetics the mum or dad are Bateaters all seem to look the same. Athena the pos gravid Burm still not accepting food hissing madly when i get near which isnt normal but she hasnt shed in awhile so I guess only time will tell maybe its nothing and shes just gone off food lol.

6 Likes

Of course hybrids are exempt! So are retics and burms, at least in my book!!(I wish!):joy: I would keep a eye out, you may see her ovulate, then you know she will lay for sure! Especially if she hasn’t eaten or shed in a while. I guess she could also be receptive right now if she is refusing food. I know the only normal time my retics won’t eat is sometimes in shed, occasionally they will eat then too

5 Likes

I don’t think so lol :joy:. I would have to seriously look into it but I think they are still under the ban thing.

5 Likes

I will gladly take a female bateater I you hatch them

4 Likes

Well its been a while and she started to go into shed a few days ago so maybe in 2 to 3 weeks I will find out if she lays eggs I have tried palpting her back end but tbh I dont know what I am doing and last thing I want to do is injure her she is still off her food even if she is in shed she would always eat she is that much of a beast when it comes to food thats why I thought she was gravid in the first place but i think I will incbate as many eggs as possible i will just put on hold all my plans for future snakes heres a pic of Athena today out of her viv as I was cleaning it what do you think her back end does look distended?

6 Likes

She is a beauty! She is a thick girl, hard to tell anything definite from that pic. It’s also easy to miss a ovulation and I’ve never really been good at palpating unless the eggs have really gotten large myself. Her refusing food could be a sign, also if you notice her laying weird, side up a wall, bowl wrapping, any odd behavior may also indicate her being gravid. I also like that if you do get eggs your going to try to incubate them all! You never know how the fertility rate is, and you have the potential of making some really cool animals imo! Please keep us updated.:+1:

3 Likes

I think maybe I am wishfull thinking as I realy miss breeding I use to breed Corns, Manderins and Garters but due to Covid 2 years ago my Father came to live with me and goodbye to my main snake room it broke my heart went from 30 to 8 snakes I kept my largest childen 3 retics 1 burm 2 boas 1 beauty 1 anaconda and said goodbye to my livingroom to become the new snake room lol but Athena has never gone off food she is super greedy and would literally eat until she burst if I alllowed her too she was my feeding dumpster and ate the lefovers from the over snakes and she ate even in shed so this is so unlke her and I like the idea of Zeus my retic being a dad as hes my dude and Hera my female retic will not tolerate being near him but Atena will always wrap with him its strange

4 Likes

Well its happend 28 eggs laid today no slugs im super hyped I forgot the feeling of when you find the eggs in the viv I decided to incubate 16 eggs Athena the mum was super hissy when I took them away from her I swear she growled at one point lol but she didnt strike so now is the waiting for hatching taking bets on how many you guys think will hatch

8 Likes

Congratulations @nightsrequiem666! That’s a lotta eggs! Momma is so pretty and it seems like she is very protective of her eggs! I can’t wait to see what hatches out and how many!

Best wishes to you and updates please! :blush::pray:

4 Likes

I have been told that many wont hatch and even if they do the bateaters rarely survive past 6 months hope that is not the case.

6 Likes

Oh btw this is a pic of the daddy my mian dude Zeus male Platinum dwarf Retic I really feel I have a special bond with snake hes smart and has his sassy moods but also loves to give nose boops and great hugs I love him to bits

5 Likes

Lol! Zeus looks like he is posing! How many feet is he being a dwarf? Also dumb question but what is a “bateater”? Is it a morph?

3 Likes

Zeus is about 12ft now and nicely muscled not super thicc and a bateater is what they call a hybrid of a Retic/Burm dont ask me why lol i realy dont understand some of the naming conventions we use in the reptile hobby lol.

5 Likes

That’s so exciting to me and they’re not even my animals! Congratulations even if they don’t go full term, it’s still an accomplishment just to get this far! Your platty dwarf looks so proud of himself on your head!:rofl: Keep us posted, I am certainly very interested in whatever outcome you have! Thanks

2 Likes