Help with sexing corn snakes…

Can anyone offer some advice regarding sexing recently hatched corns? Happy to wait until they have eaten several meals but of course will need to know their sex ultimately. They seem impossibly small for probing but so very delicate for popping.
Any advice and helpful pictures/videos welcome.

Popping is your best bet. You may want to wait until after they’ve eaten a few times, but I’ve also done it after the first shed but before feeding them and haven’t had many picky eaters. You could also try sending their sheds to Rare Genetics if you’re really not comfortable popping them. Have you sexed other species before with popping? If there are any corn breeders nearby, maybe you could ask them to help you? If you were near me, I’d be happy to show you.

1 Like

I have popped hundreds of ball pythons and a few retics. I am very familiar with the process but feel unsure about proper technique on such a very small animal. Hopefully I can find someone local to show me a few times.

1 Like

I think your experience will translate well! It’s the same process, just smaller. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s also possible to sex babies of lighter colors by using a flashlight. It’s a lot like candling. The hemepenes are visible as red lines.

2 Likes

Should’ve have said, the hemepenes are longer red lines. On hatchling corns they’re perhaps 1 -to 1.5 cm. Females may show tiny red lines, only a couple scale lengths. It only works with light morphs but it is noninvasive, if popping concerns you.

2 Likes