Help with sexing one of my jumpers

I’ve been keeping spiders for less than a year, and I’m not confident what the sex of one of my jumpers is. I’m not going to say (initially) what they were sold to me as, nor what I’m thinking currently, so as not to provide bias. I’m not planning to breed them, I’m just interested for the purpose of guesstimating life expectancy more accurately. Well also just out of curiosity too, I guess. :blush:

Thank you in advance for any thoughts! :relaxed:

6 Likes

I dont have any spiders myself but will soon! I believe I read somewhere that female jumpers have a purple colour to their fangs but im not 100% sure. Beautiful jumping spider though!

3 Likes

to me it looks like a female but I have never kept them personally (but plan to soon) so I am probably wrong :sweat_smile:

@baby_yoda you have been summoned

3 Likes

Could you maybe separate the pictures by spider so i can more easily answer you. I just can’t really tell how many spiders you’re asking about because they’re all mixed up lol. Also, are these guys fully mature? It’s just more easy to be sure of their sex when they’re fully adults. Also, female jumpers tend to be larger than males so if they’re all around the same age that can help you with sexing (some males will be larger though so doesn’t work 100%)

@shadowspiderjack Lots of female jumpers will have the purple chelicerae but not all. Ive seen many female jumpers that have all kinds of colors going on. Definitely super excited to expand on my jumper collection to get more of the unique little guys!

3 Likes

He’s a Male, males are black/white with blue or green fangs usually and females are brown coloured x

4 Likes

Is it just one spider? It looks like several spiders to me but it’s definitely a male if it’s just one.

3 Likes

I see bulbs on the pedipalps, so definitely male. He’s also got the classic male colouration, though females can sometimes have very similar colouration, so that’s not always a reliable means of identification. The bulbs on the pedipalps mean he’s definitely male, though. Those bulbs (emboli) are basically his sex organs, he inserts those into the female to inseminate her.

4 Likes

Yeah the 8th picture definitely shows the emboli on his pedipalps.

4 Likes

@baby_yoda It’s all the same spider at different ages. :blush: :wink:

@shadowspiderjack Chelicerae color isn’t a way to sex reliably, though the Regal spider gents do seem to have a set emerald beauties every time I’ve seen them.

@ghoulishcresties The color difference isn’t definitive, my first spider was an orange female regal. This spider’s dam (Winter) was white. (I’d share the pic but she wasn’t mine & I didn’t take it.)

@jawramik & @spottedbull Yay, I was right! His name is Freya, haha! :sweat_smile: He was originally thought to be female, thus the choice of moniker. I didn’t know enough to tell the difference until it seemed so obvious with the last molt that I had to check. Though, if ever there were a male spider to rival the Norse goddess of beauty, surely it is Freya, hehe. :lipstick::kiss::nail_care:

Looking Good I Love You GIF by Holler Studios

Now it makes sense why he was so entranced by Bengal, my first spider, who was female.

7 Likes

Your enclosures are so stinkin cute! Where do you get them? As far as your question, I am clueless too but it really would be nice to know the sex. All of my jumpers are still thriving including my little green Lynx spider, but my little mantis passed away a few days ago. :cry:

3 Likes

Do you still have Bengal? @mblaney

3 Likes

Ok so with all that information it looks like I have at least 3 good sized boys…… :clap::spider:

3 Likes

Oh no I know that. But that’s defo a male!
Regals are what I have also, some stunning orange on the female and white etc. But males defo black and white there haha x

5 Likes
She has passed

She passed recently and it broke my heart. She was absolutely thriving- had 3 good molts, was digging into adult blue bottle flies (and, yes, still the occasional fruit fly), constantly curious and exploring, she even won over my mother. But then she had an extremely bad molt out of nowhere.

Half of her body was stuck in her old exoskeleton when she finally emerged, and though we were able to work together to get it off her with a damp miniature paint brush, it was too late. Her new exoskeleton had hardened compressed. She only had 1.5 functioning legs on her left side. She was a fighter, even drinking and eating some pre-killed insects I offered her, but ultimately she didn’t survive. I am currently working on preparing her little display coffin.

I think it was possibly attributable to her rough initial weeks with me. The humidity in my reptile room (aka. basement) is well-controlled, and I’ve only had one other molt-related problem, and that had a known cause. So I don’t think Bengal’s failed molt was attributable to an environmental issue.

She did not have nearly enough time, but no amount of time would have been enough for me. She did fabulously considering how dire her prospects were looking initially! I’m so proud of her! :blush:

6 Likes

Oh I didn’t know that! I’m so sorry :disappointed:!

4 Likes