Hershey sporting a fresh shed

Hershey sporting a fresh shed just in time for warm days and outdoor pics again!
Ive also been asked recently what a scaleless shed looks like up close, so i added a pic showing the texture

20 Likes

Hershey is such a beautiful snake, and scaleless snakes are so neat to see. Thank you for the pics!

6 Likes

Looks like your scaleless had no problem shedding! Really like how the colors stand out so clean, even in a larger snake without scales. Very cool looking python!

6 Likes

Oh my gosh! They look so cool I have never seen an adult scaleless ball python.

7 Likes

Beautiful snake. Hershey looks wonderful! That midline shot is crazy.

How’s the upkeep been as they’ve grown? I’ve heard that a bit of a higher humidity tends to keep the skin happier, but it can be a balancing act with too much and bacteria growth.

7 Likes

stunning animal regards Tony

7 Likes

You know those stress balls that they would give out at events, where the top layer of color/film would eventually crack? Always shaped like a football or smiley face for some reason? That’s what his visual texture and coloration reminds me of!
Probably the weirdest comparison for a snake, but if I had to suffer the intrusive thought, so do you all :joy:

8 Likes

That is a crazy visual you just gave me! Good one! I work with microscales and haven’t bred for the super form yet, I love the way the co dom form even enhances the look. You are making me want to try a scaleless though, no lie! Great description, and awesome looking snake!

7 Likes

She definitely has required more specialized care.
I havent needed to use any moisturizers on her, but i keep her humidity 85%+ with 2 bowls available and a room humidifier as needed. I keep her on either coco fiber that is lightly moistened, or paper towel. The most difficult aspect has been reaching a high enough humidity without the substrate being too damp.
Hershey will be 2 in a few months, so i find her care is pretty easy at this point but it was a lot of trial and error in the beginning

8 Likes

That’s great to know though!
There’s been so much back and forth on Super scaleless care and not enough photos of adults. The last few photos I’ve seen they were more dried out and looked a bit scarred in places. She’s beautiful and while not too crazy on the care, it sounds like they are definitely not for beginners

6 Likes

Nice photos. It’s wonderful that you’ve raised her so well and she’s a lively, lovely, healthy, special adult.

3 Likes

My juno seems to constantly shed. Can you give me more info about how you keep yours of if this is normal. Shes developing a brown spot i think it seems scab like. Ever ran into this thanks

3 Likes

At a glance, I would definitely check the humidity.
Maybe mix a bit of chopped up moss into all of the bedding to add as a cushion and help keep the bedding slightly damp but not wet.

Hopefully Hershey’s mom can troubleshoot a bit more for you!

4 Likes

Humidity is around 55-60%. Shes on nice soft coco fiber with some reptisoil mixed in. Will be looking for a larger water bowl for her since shes in a 36x18x18 in enclosure im still trying to figure what suits her best

4 Likes

If you check above, @seabreezereptiles has said they’ve had to keep humidity up at 80%
I definitely think you need a bit more humidity just based on how dry the photo looks.

5 Likes

I have had that issue in the past with rough sheds.
I would bump you humidity up and put her in a shed box to help get the remaining stuck shed off. I keep my humidity at 80%+, but part of that is by using a room humidifier and keeping the room shes in at 65% humidity so the substrate isnt overly wet.
Using some bag balm can also help until the humidity is bumped up. Atleast with my girl, i occasionally need it during the winter when the house is dry

6 Likes

Thanks for the quick info. Does hershey have an enclosure of a bin. I keep all my snakes in 36x18x18 enclosures and all are happy.what is your set up like? Juno is my first scaless and there isnt much to offer on info from the web like there is for regulars.

2 Likes

How often does she shed?

2 Likes

I keep Hershey in an ARS 7030 rack on a custom mix of moss, fiber wnd babi chip. She sheds evwry 3 to 6 weeks, closer to 5-6 weeks but as early as 3 weeks if she hits a growth spurt. I also feed bi weekly, normal sized meals and she was on every 10 day feeds as a baby/juvenile

3 Likes