Het Red Axanthic and Lace Black Back

I know most if not the entire hobby agrees that Het Red Axanthic and Lace Black Back are the same gene, only different lines.
Corey Woods discovered HRA, and Amir discovered LBB the following year.
For some darn reason I don’t think they are the same gene, but slightly different( I’m more than likely going to be proven wrong) but I still can’t help but think it lol.

My question is has anyone heard or known of a breeder pairing a HRA to a LBB? Or a Red Axanthic to a Super LBB? I’ve been unable to find information on if this pairing has been attempted, or if it has the results showing they are indeed the same gene with different names.
Hopefully someone on here can lend some knowledge on the subject.

5 Likes

World of ball pythons has pictures of the lace black back Hra combo. It’s possible they could be different genes. I sold all my hra stuff because I found green pastel to be a lot nicer imo.The Huffman gene is similar to these two as well. The combo is called the lahrax.

2 Likes

That’s awesome news, I’m going to take a look at that right now. I didn’t check WOBP, given it takes them forever to update their site.
And I agree, LBB I think is a lot nicer overall compared to HRA. Part of the reason why I think they are separate genes is how much better the Super LBB looks compared to a Red Axanthic.
You keep mentioning this Huffman, I’ve looked into it and you’re right, it’s a really good looking morph. Definitely would like to add that into my small ball projects.
Thank you Shaun.

3 Likes

@saleengrinch I took a look in WOBP at that combo you mentioned.
It does look different than a single gene HRA and single gene LBB, it’s a very clean expression of the combination of those genes.
I hope that information is correct on WOBP, I know sometimes they can have things mislabeled.
Part of my thinks that’s a really good example of a LBB, it’s very similar to the original ones Amir hatched out.
I guess we’ll see once my projects start producing some clutches.
Thanks again man.

3 Likes

If you breed your own lbb hra it would be a super. You could then breed it to a normal or even like a super lesser and see if you can pick out the difference. Because the offspring would have one gene or the other. If would definitely help visualize the potential differences.

1 Like

Looking at the supers of both, I don’t understand how they could be the same gene? Unless the red axanthic is mislabeled like @mnroyals said happens, they look very different to me.

http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/super-green-pastel/

http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/red-axanthic/

1 Like

That’s a good idea, my friend/business partner has a lot of normals I could test that out with.
Definitely thinking about picking up a Red Axanthic male to go with my Super LBB.
I think that would be the best option to see what’s going on.

The picture of the Super LBB produced by Amir that’s listed on WOBP is a unique one. A lot of Super LBB also have the thick dorsal stripe like the Red Axanthic.
Here is my Super LBB for reference.

2 Likes

She’s/He’s beautiful! I can see the resemblance now, but they still look fairly different in my eyes. I’m no expert however.

1 Like

Amir has always stated they were different genes.

2 Likes

Thank you! It’s a female, she’s pushing 1000 grams now.
Yeah they look a lot alike but I agree with you there are slight differences I seem to see, happy I’m not the only one lol.

1 Like

That’s the first I heard that, that’s really reassuring.

2 Likes

Man I got the green pastel male for you!! I’ll send him to you lol. We could make some stunners! Your female is simply one of the nicest examples of the green pastel gene I’ve ever seen!

3 Likes

I can’t say how much I appreciate that comment. I spent years trying to find the perfect one, and then I found her. Funny thing I gave my friend a 1300 gram Pied female so he could order her for me. I don’t have paypal, and back then I also didn’t have a morphmarket account yet, and that’s what he wanted in exchange. I think I made the right choice.

We could definitely project something out together once she’s breeding size. Your male is a stunner! They would go well together.

4 Likes

I’d trade a pied for her all day long!!!

2 Likes