Hiii :) finally introducing myself lol

Hii, Im Lacey! Im a mother of 3 and have always loved reptiles. My husband and I just recently agreed to finally just take the risk and jump into breeding reptiles. We’re still in the planning stage for how we want to start the whole venture. I just know that I love reptiles and the reptile community and cant wait to be a part of it!

8 Likes

Well hello and welcome Lacey! You have made the right decision to come here because there are so many people in this family with a plethora of knowledge about all kinds of reptiles! You will get all kinds of information and advice when you decide what you are going to breed. These people really care about you as well as your animals. I’m excited for you!!! :heart::frog::lizard::snake::blush:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. What animals are you considering working with?

1 Like

Welcome welcome! So excited to hear you are taking the plunge into breeding!! I haven’t made that step yet, but i love to live vicariously through people like you. What species are you planning to work with? Do you have any pictures of your current collection?

1 Like

See this is the hard part lol. Im having a difficult time really pinning down what id like to work with first. My husband is dead set on crested geckos, which are great, but im leaning more towards hoggies or some other type of snake.

1 Like

Unfortunately no. I havn’t kept any reptiles for about 10 years now. Back then they were pets only.

1 Like

Oh wow! So you will be restarting your collection too?? How exciting!

Not to be the little Devil on your shoulder, buttt…

Why not both :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community. I am a ball python person myself and i have 3 leopard geckos as pets. I hope to make breeding ball pythons my retirement Hobby. I have 9 BP’s right now. By the time I hit retirement age, I should have everything I need to start.

2 Likes

Thats something we’ve talked about as well lol i honestly think thats probably what we’re going to do. I’ll eventually have balls boas and some other colubrids as well but i dont want to start out with too many and get overwhelmed.
Also i forgot to say thank you earlier for the welcome lol and yes im so excited to restart my collection! I can not wait!

1 Like

Thank you. And thats the dream isnt it? Being able to retire and still doing something that you love and are passionate about? This is why we’re finally taking the plunge. I just want to do something that i can wake up every morning happy to do and look forward to doing. Like even the cleaning part. I miss it. Lol

2 Likes

Also thank you for the welcome lol

1 Like

Welcome to the community :relaxed:

1 Like

Welcome! Sounds like a lot of work ahead for you and your husband. I guess the biggest thing is make sure you have a product (so to speak) that will sell.
Cresties are so easy to breed, unless you have pretty good designer lines, normals are a dime a dozen.
You can go at balls a couple different ways. If you have money, go straight for the morphs you like. If not, the slow route is getting hets and working your way back up.
Hoggies are the same, only normal morphs still command a respectable price.
Just some things to think about. I hope you enjoy your journey.

3 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Definitely going to be some work, but its work i actually look forward to doing lol Yea these points are kind of the same things ive been pointing out to my husband (when talking about the cresties). Its going to be a process but im so far loving every second of it.

1 Like

I agree, why not both, then u can decide which you’d rather expand :grin:

For me it’s cresties! I absolutely love them and have kept them for many years. If you need persuasion, you should check out the show off your cresties section :yum:

Whereas hubby loves ball pythons so we built him a cabin for the snakes and my gecko section is in the conservatory :grin:

We’ve had other reptiles, but these stuck as our favourites.

2 Likes

Thats awesome! Ill definitely check out that thread! And i love that you two both have your own spaces for each of your collections, thats beautiful! Thats goals lol

1 Like

It didn’t start that way, but as our family grew, we decided to have areas away from wondering hands lol as we knew it love for reptiles would only grow :grin:

Definitely worth thinking about :smirk::wink:

Welcome to the community! Looking forward to seeing pictures as your collection grows!

1 Like