Hognose not feeding

Hello all,
this is my first time using this forum but I have a hognose I’ve had a while who had been feeding weekly but now won’t feed and I’m not sure what to do as he’s my first snake, all the information I feel is relevant is as follows:

• last ate around the 11th of June
  • Shed Friday 8th July, full shed
  • Pooped after shedding
  • Weight 5th June 43g
  • Weight 18th June 45.15g
  • Weight 13th July (today) 41.61g
  • Basking 32 degrees - not changed since got him, nor has enclosure other than cleaning
  • Born May 2021
  • Got him September 2021
  • Feeding issues started April 2022
  • Have tried scenting with tuna and trout (trout being the scent used when he was a hatchling)
  • Humidity rests around 50%
  • Seems to be moving around and exploring still
  • Temperament is very high strung, but had been doing well

Any advice on what to do with him is appreciated, I am just very worried about his weight loss

1 Like

Can you take a picture of his enclosure with him in it? What has he been eating, what are you trying to feed him, and how often are you trying to feed him? Have you been handling him at all or often?

3 Likes

I’m afraid he’s hiding in there right now but here’s a picture,

He ate mouse fuzzies the 4-6g ones and I try to feed him once a week, and I handle him occasionally maybe twice a week and he’s gotten used to me handling him gently and letting him explore my hand but I never pick him up on or a few days after feeding day to encourage him to eat and digest.

3 Likes

Here he is!

3 Likes

It could be that he feels stressed in such a large enclosure, but you have a lot of cover and hiding places in it, so I don’t know if that’s a problem or not. You could try keeping him in a small plastic tub for a couple weeks and see if that helps. Try to avoid handling him a day before feeding also, just in case that’s a possible stressor. Someone with experience keeping hognoses might also reply and give you better advice. Also, he looks awesome, supercondas are my favorite hognose morph.

2 Likes

He’s been eating in there for a while now but I’ll try that as when I first had him I had to do that to get him to eat the first couple of times! Thank you very much for the advice! And thank you, they’re my fave morph too

2 Likes

Hey there! I am just wondering if your hog is eating now and what you did to get him to eat again? I have a hog that has been hit or miss in the 2 years I have had him. Also, I got him as a baby…….

I am just curious about the outcome with yours……

Thank you!

Caron. :wink::blush::lizard::frog::snake:

1 Like