Homeowners Insurance Cancelled

Not sure if anyone else has had this issue, but I was informed my homeowners insurance found my MorphMarket account and won’t insure me because of my reptiles. I have ball pythons, corn snakes, Kenyan sand boas, hognoses and a spotted python.

I am in Florida and I have a Class III license and I had my insurance through the government backed program because so many others won’t insure us since we have a manufactured home (we plan to eventually replace it, but initially bought it more for the land). I still have my block house and the manufactured home is listed as a second house and I told them the snakes aren’t even here and my license and everything is registered to the other house. I also told them I sell online and ship, no one is ever allowed at our home. If someone is local, we can meet them at a neutral location, but I don’t like unknown folks coming to our house. They basically told me that was too bad and nothing they can do.

Is this a new Florida tactic to take away our snakes? Any ideas or advice that wouldn’t involve me selling all of my snakes to someone out of state?

6 Likes

They’re really cracking down on homeowner insurance in CA too. I haven’t heard of anything like this yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it happens eventually.
Out here one of them was cancelled because they sent a drone overhead and saw 'too much clutter’s in the yard. It’s ridiculous.

4 Likes

I havent heard of anything like this and I’m born and raised floridian. This is very concerning and im definitely looking into this

3 Likes

Thats the Florida political climate for you. Recent legislation signed by your governor as made insurance almost impossible in Florida

1 Like

It’s so beyond frustrating. I certainly didn’t vote for him. His FWC chair pick of Rodney Barreto has been nightmarish for us as it is.

2 Likes

Insured people are getting dropped for every stupid reason, rates are unaffordable to the ones who can get it. Its ridiculous and should be criminal

2 Likes

This is much larger than a govenor thing but this isnt a place for political talk either weather you like him or not, plenty of threads over on reddit.

3 Likes

To clarify, this is the legislation area though, is that not inherently political? I understand maybe not strictly talking about general politics, but folks like Rodney Barreto have directly and very negatively impacted the reptile industry in Florida.

Legislation and inherently getting into talking about govenors is a slippery slope and these forums dont need political garbage being thrown about, theres toxic forums for that. But by all means continue. Dont be surprised if you get flagged. I reached out to my homeowners insurance and they know nothing about any law restriction of keeping reptiles. It might be your insurance company making the decision and not Florida.

1 Like

It’s the government backed insurance company that Florida offers that did this.

Feel free to flag me, but talking about politicians that are doing things to active harm the reptile industry I think is pretty fair game, but maybe I’m wrong.

2 Likes

I never said i was flagging you, lol. Good grief.

1 Like

Not reptile-related but here in MD they’re trying to cancel mine “because roof in disrepair” and needs replaced. The same roof they paid out for 8 years ago, from a storm. I don’t know why this is happening everywhere but it’s definitely ridiculous and should never be allowed to get out of hand like this.

4 Likes

Thats happening a lot here too. I fix/repair garage doors, been doing it a long time. Ive been in construction my whole life. The things i see insurance companies do is sickening. Ive literally argued in person with insurance adjusters trying to tell my 80 year old customer that they have a non wind code door when we put it in above code all because it was missing a stupid sticker, its crazy. My customers are like family. Same with roofs, imagine paying extra for a 25 year roof only to be told by insurance that you will be dropped if its not replaced in 8.5 years. Its very frustrating.

3 Likes

They’ve done that a lot here in Florida, though somehow we were fine with our 15 year old roof and replaced it before they even mentioned in cause we were getting solar installed.

1 Like

Not that anyone is commenting on this thread anymore, but I just found out something about my homeowners insurance company that both super creepy and wrong on so many levels!

My half brother is my homeowners ins. agent. When I finally calmed down and became un-angry from the threat of my ins. cancellation I emailed him and and reminded him that my freaking roof was 8 years old. I have, in writing, the email reply from him that says, “They use satellite photos for many of the photo inspections

Did anybody else know this, or have I just been completely oblivious to what goes on in the world around me?

Yeah… The satellite stuff is really frustrating.
That’s why it’s even more frustrating that they can just fly drones over your house now and take a bunch of photos too. They can get whatever angles they want.

1 Like

Ive noticed this too, so many drones I’ve seen lately. Its disgusting in my opinion.

1 Like

Like why is this even legal? Sleezeball thing to do to people. Giving off workers comp vibes but not quite to that level of evil just yet. Been living that nightmare for the last 7 years.

2 Likes

Workman’s Comp is the worst. My mother’s been living that nightmare for almost 30 years now.

Her most recent issue is she’s told them months ahead of time that she was moving states. Filled out the paperwork required and now they’re denying her payments because she’s no longer at her old address.

It seems like she has a couple years where they’re fine and then they decide to mess something up and deny her meds for no reason or moss a payment that takes forever to work out again.

2 Likes

It took 13 months to get a check. In the meantime, at the exact same time, my husband was fighting the ssdi battle for 2 years. Needless to say, we suffered so much, nearly lost our house, i completely drained my retirement savings, had to file for bankruptcy, had a car repossessed, and had our water and electricity shut off 3 or 4 times. I wouldn’t wish this on anyone. If I had known how much we would suffer for so long at the hands of these unscrupulous soulless creatures, I would have never reported the injury and I would have paid for the 4 surgeries myself!

I’m so sorry that your mom is dealing with them too. It’s so messed up that she’s had to live the nightmare for so long. I feel so bad for the people who get taken advantage of, some will never get a dime from wc because they didn’t know their rights but now suffer the sometimes lifelong physical impairment because of it.

Sorry about the rant but the l latest shenanigans they pulled yesterday still have me seething.

And back to the original topic I hijacked, I hope that one day we won’t be subjected to such abuse of power and consequences for what we choose to do in the privacy of our own home.

1 Like