Hottentotta Tamulus 4i

I noticed today that my Hottentotta Tamulus ( Indian Red scorpion) recently molted to 4i. Im still unsure of its sex as it is still young, but omg the markings and coloration is looking amazing. This baby has molted twice for me already so it is growing incredibly fast. I can’t wait until this baby hits adulthood, im excited to see the final coloration. Fingers crossed that i will get treated to that iconic red telson ( the venom bulb ).

4 Likes

Such delicate markings, as if it’s been stenciled. Very prettg.

1 Like

Yes, i love the markings because they certainly didnt exist until this molt. Im looking forward to seeing more, so gar this is my fastest growing scorpion.

2 Likes

Watching them change as they shed is interesting with corn snakes. It’s much more dramatic with your scorpions.

2 Likes

I have found that with inverts they often start out fairly colorless ( probably an evolutionary adaptation ) but as they age they come into their beautiful coloration. They are so different from other animals who may start out beautiful from birth. When it comes to reptiles i have had over the years they often start out very vibrant but woth time the intensity lowers ( they are still beautiful ) its interesting to me to watch a scorpion who starts out white/clear to end up so different. My Hottentotta Tamulus has been the most fun to see the changes. She came to me as a 2i baby my pinky nail was bigger than she was, she is still small ( they don’t get big, under 3 inches ) her markings are similar to an alligator back Hottentotta Hottentotta. Her next molt ive no doubt will have more coloration. My Tityus Obscurus is so tiny it is hard to find even in the open its coloration looks like the cork bark. For this baby i always pull out the black light ( its a good practice to be aware of where they are ) at 2i i doubt it can penitrate my skin but as it grows it will. There has only been 3 deaths attributed to this species but they are responsible for 1000s of stings. They blend in so well into wood they are easy to overlook. I plan on getting a few other Tityus species, they have amazing coloration and patterns. Id like to get breeding pairs of the more obscure hard to find species to help build domestic stocks over taking from the wild. ( most of my species are captive born, but some are difficult to get them to breed and raise) so i don’t have a choice.

3 Likes

It’s fascinating how creatures change in the process of maturing.

1 Like