Hottest projects/combos as of currently?

As far as recessive projects go I was actually wanting to shoot for something Justin created which was the vpi dg clown. What do you think of that as a project? I also wanted to shoot for a quad project which would be a clown pied with dg and vpi in the mix.

3 Likes

My main goal is although I am going to get into the projects I truly enjoy I do also want the morphs I work with to hold a strong market value. I would hate to get into something and invest and just have the market crash for that particular project or morph.

3 Likes

Axanthic DG Clowns are a project many are shooting for, and if that’s something that interest you then go for it. I expect to see the quad Ax DG Clown Pied in 2024, so once it comes out, if that’s still a direction you want to go - the all steam ahead! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I wanna make something few will have :sob:
But seems like everyone is always 10 steps ahead! Lol

I had planned on buying a clown pied, clown het dg, and a clown het vpi

4 Likes

That might make your project a bit difficult though… unless you already have axanthic and DG in your collection. You would have to run shed tests to ID who inherited the hets.

At the least, getting a visual recessive from the breeding is what I hope to gain in a project. For example I picked up a couple expansion females for my panda pied project:
-Vpi het pied
-Albino pied
My current male is a pewter het pied so I can easily hold back a pied from either female go further with guaranteed hets…Eventually working towards pied double het snow

Unless you enjoy the challenge! I totally get that.

2 Likes

In your opinion let’s say I want to go through with a vpi dg clown project what would be good starting females? As stated above I thought the lineup I had would be a good start but I’d appreciate input!

1 Like

Most would tell you to buy het females and get visual males, so you can plug the male into more females. If you wanted to go the DG VPI Clown route, I’d go with a double visual and het for most of the pairings.

Example:
DG Clown het VPI
VPI Clown het DG
DG VPI het Clown

mix and match

However - I’d advise making your DG side visual. That way you can do any shed testing with other companies if you do not want to use RGI and can get quicker turn around results.

6 Likes

I say whatever you go for, plan for what’s next and what can set you apart. Meaning when you get that breeding group get some extra genes that you’re going to build into the project. For DG VPI Clown probably think about pattern mutations you could add since color/clean will be maxed out with the triple visual.

4 Likes

Definitely this! the rest of her suggestion is also good. I just lucked out and found some good prices on females that could work with the group I already had.

Definitely the added bonus to consider

2 Likes

Personally feel like there are too many new combos out there to pick just a few out but i do agree with one of the reply check up on youtube i know [
@leviathansnakes (https://www.youtube.com/@LeviathanSnakes) They are working with some cool new gene Furrow and Nyla Then you have all these other cool genes such as some kinda newish genes that not many are working with or that people are starting to jump into are Monsoon,Furrow,Gorrila(NBKReptiles/DPRColdBlood), Trident, Puzzle, and the list goes one But then again this is ONLY our second year breeding we just been doing tons of research and watching videos prior to Jumping into the Breeding process . Then even though its really Pricey there is the cool gene we noticed roaming through the Social is the Sandstorm and Tornado not many working with this gene but we did learn that there is few people working with this gene and that there is a waitlist for the next clutch… Last But not least i say since you getting back into it Pick up a few That you like want work with them also the other commentors were not joking that the hobby is heading towards the Triple And Quad recessives and some are jaw droppers. Find the Gene You Would Not Mind Looking At Every Feed And Have Fun With It …
Also idk if you been paying attention to the morph news but Now there are talks and genetic testing to support the idea that Desert Ghost is sort of a Polygenic morph so there is DGa DGb DGc Being ( Desert Ghost {a}, Desert Ghost {b}, Desert Ghost {c} ) with One being the Desert Ghost that Brightens everything up, One that gives the animal That Axanthic Look Then There is The Other desert Ghost Which i believe might be the Enhancer or a different version of de besides the Enhancer …

2 Likes

It’s my understanding that Enhancer and DG in their best expressions are easy to tell apart for breeders like Kevin from NERD and Billy of Mutation Creation…and yes they do seem to be in the same polygenic complex (DG), but they both support keeping the lines more pure and not crossing them into one another.

2 Likes

I’m glad to have laid the ground work for this in the US, and that goes for most import genes becoming main stream now in the USA. Furrow, Nyala, Striker, Orbit, Twister, Tornado, Gorilla, etc. Once it gets the Anna stamp of approval and is mentioned on IG/some podcast I somehow ended up on - then people want it :joy: :skull_and_crossbones:

edit; You can thank Justin at Kinova for the tornado price issue and demand now

6 Likes

@nathan_e
Just wanted to say hi and it is good to hear that you are getting back in to it. See you around :wink:

4 Likes

oh yeah when i\we reached out to DNJO it was already to late lOlz … had no idea that you deal with so many imports. how long have you been doing the entire import situation also do you come across many coom new morphs that start of as dinkers with you since you deal with many imports?

3 Likes

I got into ball pythons at the end of 2019. Decided to try breeding in 2020, and had my first imports in 2020. So, I’ve been doing imports from the very beginning - which has been a double edged sword for me for the most part. I’m new, people don’t know who I am, and have no idea about these ‘morphs’ I’m claiming to have or bring to shows, so it takes a lot of time and work to be able to find actual breeders overseas who will showcase what they have, answer your questions, and will work with you moving forward with clutches. I have had the opportunity to come a cross several new morphs or people who think they may have something will reach out. I feel very lucky to have people reach out to me when they come across something to get my opinion on it, and I’m very fortunate for people just coming out with a new gene to allow me to get into the project with them and see where it goes.

5 Likes

MRC Changelog :wink:

This may be useful to you

Latest Ball Python Traits

3 Likes

I normally don’t like combo names because I don’t remember what is in them and sometimes the community doesn’t all agree (what all is in dark knight and which line of axanthic is required to be called lightning ball). But I think the VPI axanthic clown desert ghost combo is so popular it might deserve a combo name. Too bad stormtrooper is already taken by an apparently not reproducible animal (does that put the name back up for grabs?).

Wondering if other pattern mutations will dial the axanthic desert ghost combo up to 11 like clown does. I think I saw the pied version at one point and it seemed almost as clean. I’m working on genetic stripe and monsoon versions.

Shed testing opens up the recessive combo game to people like me breeding less expensive hets and not just breeders with double+ visual pairs to start projects. However, long odds and testing budgets are challenges. And even if you hit the odds and test out the desired multi-hets, raise them up, then eventually hit the multi-visual these projects will take years and who knows what will be the rage then but I expect to produce something I like to look at even if it isn’t high dollar at that point.

3 Likes

But they are so easy :crazy_face:

Ball Python Combo List

3 Likes

Love this!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The theory is that enhancers tend to be hom DGa and hom DGb, while DG can be any combo (with at least het DGa and het DGb. Hopefully we’ll learn more once the free DG tests results come back and the spreadsheet is released!

5 Likes