How do I get my female jaguar breeding size quicker?

I recently just bought a female jaguar retic that was slow grown. She is four years old but doesn’t have the size to breed. So I was wondering how do I get her bigger quicker. I know how to get her bigger but I’ve would like to hear other peoples opinion. Because I don’t know everything.

There is nothing healthy about rushing an animal up to size. A leaner, well-fed animal will be a better breeder than an obese, rush-grown one.

I do not work with retics, but I would suspect that a 4-5 year-old slow-grow retic would probably be sexually mature and capable of breeding. You may not get a 50 egg clutch, but who needs that many hatchling retics??

14 Likes

So true! No one does, they are hard to sell and expensive to keep even as hatchings.

4 Likes

How big is she? As @t_h_wyman noted she’s probably sexually mature. If snakes in the wild only bred when they were big and fat, they would be extinct. The idea of “minimum breeding weight = success” came from the portion of the hobby that is greedily pursuing the next combo to sell.

6 Likes

Short answer you don’t you could but it’s not even remotely a good idea know that being said I’ve never tried but from EVERYTHING I’ve researched and seen in this community no one has had a positive experience with animal health.

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice

1 Like

Thank you for the advice everyone

1 Like