How I Grow and Propagate Plants for Bioactive Terrariums

That’s what I was thinking, so I left them longer to test it out. I had to utilize some hair clips to keep them from tipping out, but it works!

I’ve been slowly collecting plants every time Matt brings me to Lowe’s/Home Depot, since I’ve never done houseplants before. I have lots of success with my outdoor stuff, so this has been fun. It’s to the point where he picked me up a little teacup flower for my classroom/office. :heart_eyes:

Most recent pickup.

Rest of my stash. I thought I had pictures of the teacup, but it’s reblooming at the moment so it doesn’t look pretty. :joy:

3 Likes

I’ve never been super interested in plants aside from in reptile enclosures, but some of those look pretty cool, I might have to get a couple plants sometime.

1 Like

Most of them are for enclosures. The plan is to propagate as many as I can for enclosures. All are gecko-safe, so they’ll go into enclosures. But the bromeliad will be for the female hatchling’s bio enclosure. :blush:

2 Likes

I only use the one leaf method as it creates a new plant not just a runner.

2 Likes

The pothos have been doing great. Most have an extra two leaves and a few have developed a ton of leaves.

1 Like

Looking good, you’ve done well

1 Like

Thank you! A lot of the other plants have died, but some of them are still doing good.

1 Like

I find that happens regularly.

We have an allotment and when it comes to growing, we have to plant lots as usually many many will die, other times we end up with an abundance of things :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I find that additional heat drastically reduces the number of losses. I propagate my pathos outside, I have lost no more then four cuttings out of probably around 200-250 cuttings.

Also I tend to find that if you leave them in the water longer so their roots grow more development, they do better with the transition to soil. Also keep the soil very very wet and slowly start holding back on the water so they can harden off.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t propagating easier then growing my allotment plants.

We took down our greenhouse this year (due to patio being done) so I haven’t been able to propagate much this year

1 Like