How long can a snake be in shed cycle (Blue) without shedding?

How long can a snake be in shed cycle (Blue) without shedding?
I have an adult albino ball python who went into shed on 23/08/21 over 2 months ago.
She pinked up underneath a bit than her eyes clouded then went blue. But no shed.
Her eyes have remained clouded bluey eyes. (the amount varies week to week)
Its not retained eye caps as the last shed had the eye caps. (I always check that)
I have seen snakes have a deep and long shed cycle when they need to regenerate. Eg when injured (Not by me - rescued snakes) But never this long.
I have kept many snakes for many decades but Ball pythons for only a year.
Any ideas? Does this happen sometimes or is something wrong or is there a condition that causes this?
I have come to what I believe is the best place for answers. Any help is well appreciated.

1 Like

Seems a long time to me, I’ll tag some people who may be able to help you. :blush:

@saleengrinch @t_h_wyman @chesterhf

I’ve never seen one go this long in blue without shedding, usually mine are “blue” for 3-4 days, clear up for 3-10 days, and then shed. I have no idea what would cause this. What is the humidity in her enclosure?

3 Likes

I would like to see a current photo of the snake

1 Like

How old is the snake? The older the snake is the longer in between sheds so the shed cycle is possibly longer. If the humidity is low the snake might be waiting until it has enough moisture (because shedding takes moisture to work). how often are you feeding? Digestion also takes moisture and if a snake doesn’t have enough moisture it might wait until after digestion to shed. I’m not positive but all I can think of is longer cycles and a constant cycle of waiting.

1 Like

My male pied was in shed longer this time too.
I poured some warm water over him in the tub to bring up the humidity. Then He finally shed within a couple days of doing that. I am waited on feeding him too. He is due to feed but I am waiting a few more days for him to get over the stress of shedding. I will clean his tub out before i feed him also. Get all the wetness out from where i poured the water in it. Its time to clean anyway. Just my experience with mine.

@ghoulishcresties Thanks
@chesterhf yes, same for me almost all the time.
@phantom_hatchery I will try in the morning, that would help
@erie-herps I got her a few months ago, was told she was 7, true all my others are younger so maybe i am expecting too much.
Humidity is usually 60 but I raise it during shed. She fed like crazy the first month and was in good condition. No food since the shed cycle a couple of months ago.
@wmb1965 I have only raised the humidity to 70, I will try raising for a more while, thanks.

1 Like

I’m not sure why that could be. Mites and parasites can also cause dehydration but I wouldn’t worry about that (it’s unlikely). As long as your snake has fresh water available then dehydration shouldn’t be a problem. The only worrying part is you got her a few months ago and she’s been in shed a couple months. Do you have a way to get in touch with the previous owner to see if they have any information about how she was kept?

Thanks for helping
She is clean, as an albino its easy to see any mites, Besides i have a good anti mite quarantine thing going on. Its not a stuck shed as she shed clean almost as soon as i got her.
I will contact them too, good idea. I dont want to be cynical, but it was a 2600g female ready to bread but unproven for some reason, Am I asking myself why it was for sale for only $450 ?

1 Like

That does seem very inexpensive, so unless they had many of them or had a reason to get rid of her there could be an underlying issue.

That definitely is a very long shed cycle. I definitely agree with @erie-herps on this one. I believe that there some underlying issues with the animal that you were not made privy to @ascended.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the advice, this one was bugging me.
@erie-herps + @lumpy
I have contacted the seller but no reply yet. And yes I think your right, the snake might have some issues.
I think I will give it a week or so at higher humidity, then if nothing I will have to get her checked out.
I hope she is ok, shes a really nice snake

3 Likes

I believe jumping to blaming the seller might be a bit extreme at this point

3 Likes

I agree about blaming the seller but for now I think they are only a possible information source.

I wasn’t saying to blame the seller. I was saying that I agree with Riley ( erie-herps ) that it could be a option. Obviously higher humidity and time and peace are what is best for the snake at this time.

2 Likes

I wasn’t blaming the seller, they were open about her being unproven at 7 years old when they are breeders.
Information may help me understand why and if its connected.
Maybe there is an innocent reason she wasn’t bread or the odd long shed is normal for her.
I hope its a one off thing and I am worrying for nothing, but i need info.

1 Like

I think Travis was actually talking to Riley and I because we suggested that the seller may be at fault as a last resort.

1 Like

Yes, I agree. I mentioned it as a possibility but for now I’m just mentioning the possibility, I’m not trying to jump to assumptions or accuse anyone.

1 Like

Before I reply I make sure to read through the thread to get context for my post. All other suggestions that I could think of had already been mentioned, so I was just agreeing with yours because it would be a last resort to consider if nothing else pans out. More than likely the snake is just having a long shed cycle. No harm no foul, @erie-herps.

1 Like

I was talking to all three of you.

The OP alluded to it with this comment here:

Whereupon the idea seemed to snowball to a point where it appeared the OP had come to a decision on the matter without any actual facts:

I was advocating for reining that train of thought back as there are a number of other possibilities that could account for what is being seen that do not trace back to the seller as the issue

2 Likes