How many have done genetic testing so far

Out of curousity how many people have taken advantage of the genetic testing so far? How long was it from when the shed was received to the time you got your results.

10 Likes

I am very interested in this as well! Great topic @wreckroomsnakes

7 Likes

I’ve done several orders. Early on there was a pretty big backlog but I think one later test only took 3 weeks or so. Of course patience is always a struggle but it sure beats 2 - 4 years to raise up and prove a female the old fashioned way.

7 Likes

Good to know! Also I assume these are mostly your holdbacks for your own breeding program. I was just thinking, down the road if you did end up selling those with tests it could be a great way to encourage a potential buyer, especially in multi gene morphs were it isn’t always easy to tell or a “100% sure” thing. Possibly could get more money from a genetic tested animal as well, recouping some costs of the test itself! What a interesting, new tool to add! Thanks!

7 Likes

Yes, I’m way behind so using the tests to identify holdbacks and selling the ones that don’t test het. Hopefully this will be the year with enough gene tests available and quick enough results to narrow down the holdbacks before I have a year+ feeders in the for sale babies.

4 Likes

Still waiting on DG and OD to be an option.

6 Likes

Dg is one for sure i can’t wait for them to add. I have a few axanthic hold backs that i would to know if they are het for dg or not. :blush:

6 Likes

Sent sheds over 5 weeks ago and just got the results back last night. Unfortunatley one shed was not of good enough quality to use so i got send that one in again :cry: Of course it was the one i was really super excited to see the results on. So shed watch 2023 begins! :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7 Likes

Typically RGIs turn around time for a morph test is 3 to 5 weeks, depending on when in the queue your shed is received.

They don’t run these tests individually… they wait until they have enough to do a “run” so that it’s affordable to do so, hence the variable wait time of 3-5 weeks.

DG is definitely one of the most requested and RGI are confident in having a test out in the next few weeks. They are currently “testing the test” to be sure. Once they are 100% they will make it available. Hypo and Genetic Stripe are also in the next few weeks they hope.

11 Likes

Be sure to write “URGENT RERUN” on the bag and it will get through to the front with priority

5 Likes

Do you think the shed got dirty or wet too long? I’ve had sheds the snake messed up that I just wait for the next one when the test isn’t available yet anyway. Wondering if anything can be done like if you find and wash the shed quickly can it then dry and be good?

Awesome news on genetic stripe. I thought it might be a little farther out than the others mentioned. Of course even after dg, hypo, and gs then I’ll be anxious for VPI axanthic. Never enough, lol.

Also hoping for continued equipment advancement, cheaper/faster/more capacity.

4 Likes

More than likely it was because i did not remove it fast enough, and may have gotten to damp. I am not sure washing it would be a good idea. It may wash away the genetic material needed. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I haven’t used the testing myself, but I have spoken to the guys from RGI a couple of times at expos and can second what eaglereptiles said, they explained that in order to run shed tests they have to get together around 250 sheds (not the exact number, but something close to that) to run the tests. This is because they unfortunately don’t have the mass testing equipment themselves, so they have to send them out and that costs quite a bit of money. So that’s a big part of the reason for folks having a longer turnaround time - your shed can’t be tested until they have enough to send the whole order out.

5 Likes

Recently, I used the RGI (thru MM) DNA testing service. According to my emails:

1. I purchased the test on 2/24/2023.
  2. They received the shed on 3/3/2023. (To be fair, I waited a few days before shipping to the PO Box.)
  3. DNA result was ready on 3/30/2023.

Honestly, the process FEELS a lot longer, because waiting to find out if your $1000 animal is really a $3000 animal does affect the space-time continuum.

Regards,
Chris

17 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I’m sorry for laughing at your pain but this is funny :sweat_smile:

I wonder how many tears have been shed (pun intended) when RGI tells someone “nope, not a triple het… just a £4000 normal” :upside_down_face:

13 Likes

For the record, my girl tested NEGATIVE for the Piebald gene. :rofl:

Regards,
Chris

6 Likes

I’ve had fairly good luck so far on results but totally understand the waiting time dilation. You would think after years of waiting for eggs to hatch I would be better at waiting. Hopefully the equipment gets cheaper and they can bring it in house eventually.

6 Likes

Just out of curiosity, after genes are found and tests develop (I know those are HUGE steps) what does the machine that can run tests in mass (100 - 300 tests?) cost right now? About how long has it taken for the price of those machines to half in the past? Exciting times. Just need to be patient and I bet full panel testing will become standard practice.

8 Likes

On your results, will it show the difference between if its either heterozygous and homozygous? Like if you had a super lesser so you cant see its genes, will it tell you if its carrying one or two copies of the gene?

4 Likes

I’ve done it now on 2 or 3 animals. I’m in Texas, so shipping it via USPS usually only takes a day since we’re in the same state. My last order was on January 30th. They received it February 9th (or that’s when they updated it in their system). I didn’t get results back until March 6th. Just to give you a timeframe.

The test itself can only take about 15 minutes. It would easier if they could pack it up and bring it to a show, and have people drop off sheds then and tell them to come back in 30ish minutes and get a queue formed that way. I’d pay to invest in having that available at a show.

6 Likes