How many have done genetic testing so far

Great question. I’m also looking forward to an official answer. My guess is that it sounds like panel test is supposed to be a single test so as long as they had updated the panel test to include hypo and maybe dg by the time your sample runs you get more results than you expected at purchase. I’m basing this on the discussion of albino having to be removed from panel testing due to issue with 2nd allele. My thinking is that if they were running a series of individual tests rather than a single panel test albino might not have been an issue (but my ignorance is considerable).

I’m also curious to see how panel tests are reported back. Maybe there are software issues where a table row is only created for each gene at order but I suspect it’s just a single row with a flexible text field.

2 Likes

I would assume that they would run a test for all available at the time they receive them. They snip a bit of for each test available and throw it into those piles and dont think think about it again until the results are back. But definitely something to hit up RGI directly about.

No, I believe each test needs to be ran separately. @chesterhf ?

I’ll come back to this with screenshots when I’m on the PC

2 Likes

IF they are running each test separately they will need to ask for bigger sheds and more money when 60 tests so I’m still thinking maybe they have a way of testing multiple genes in same single panel test.

2 Likes

Correction. A single bit of shed can yield enough DNA for probably close to a couple hundred tests

Yes and no. Depending on the thermolcycler they have, they could run up to either eight samples of twelve different assays or sixty-four samples of six assays on a single plate. Any post PCR processes would then have to go through their own workflow.

5 Likes

Just to confirm this. RGI will run all tests available to them at the time they receive the shed for a Panel.

5 Likes

At the time RGI RECEIVES the shed or the time they SEND out the next testing batch?

The first podcast was very informative about how turnaround will actually be faster when they get busy because they can fill batches quicker. One part I still didn’t understand is how many different batches they have. Like is there a separate batch for each test and also a separate gender determination batch and a separate panel batch?

Anyway, the hope is order volume will be high and they could be sending off weekly batches so not much time for a new test to be added to the panel between shed receive and batch send. However it could happen, especially in the slow season when that could be several weeks.

3 Likes

Everyone take a listen to this youtube video and most of your questions will be answered. If you more questions ask them here and I’ll send them to over to potentially be covered on their next episode.

Genetic Testing Podcast

3 Likes

“So if your shed was received by about April 4th…then your shed will likely be on this run [with results by end of next week].”

LMAO They emailed me on exactly April 4th to say that my latest shed was received. Will I make the cut? The suspense is killing me! :crazy_face:

Regards,
Chris

PS – This latest submission is for a full panel on my Super Mojave 50% Het Lavender Albino 66% Het Monsoon. If he carries the Lavender Albino gene, then I’ll breed him to a visual LA and search the clutch for Het Monsoon markers. Fingers crossed.

4 Likes

Ive got a Black head black pastel pos het pied girl in shed. Would saving the shed in a vac sealed bag be better than a ziplock?

2 Likes

Baggie is probably better. Make sure the shed is clean and dry. Don’t want any mold or feces contamination.

4 Likes

Anyone have sheds returned by the post office for more postage? I haven’t had a problem with RGI samples because they only want a small part of the shed but I believe Dr. Seidel wants a lot more to run multiple classes. I’ve found that the postage price goes up quite a bit if your letter is too thick.

The vacuum seal idea reminded me of how I smash the open zip locks between piles of tile overnight and then try to seal without letting air back in to keep my envelope from being over 1/4” thick and becoming a parcel. Still best to take to the post office to get a firm price.

2 Likes

As ballornothing said, the keys are clean and dry.

And a dry shed will last a loooong time in this state, so no need to vac seal it for preservation. Drop your shed sample in a ziplock bag, and you’re good.

The envelope thickness shouldn’t be an issue, since all RGI requires is a clean, dry sample the size of a US quarter (1" x 1"). FWIW, I send in twice that amount, but still… it’s as thin as a single piece of paper (inside of a ziplock bag).

Steps I Take

1. Make sure the full shed is removed from the enclosure as soon as possible.
  2. Tear off a large area of unsoiled shed.
  3. Drop the piece(s) of shed into a simple brown paper lunch bag. (The brown paper bag is breathable, which allows for the shed to dry, but it’s still protective, so it keeps any contaminants off the shed.)
  4. Wait 2 days.
  5. Wash and dry hands. (In case you’ve handled another snake that day, this keeps its DNA away from your sample.)
  6. Remove shed from brown lunch bag and tear off two 1" x 1" good pieces.
  7. Place those two pieces inside a ziplock bag. (Seal the bag.)
  8. Finally, label the ziplock bag with Order No. and Shed ID.
  9. Drop the labeled ziplock into an envelope.
  10. Mark the outside of envelope with Order No., add a postage stamp, and drop it in the mailbox.

Easy peasy.

Regards,
Chris

4 Likes

I hadn’t thought of the paper bag drying, thanks! Now I just need to look for bags at the store.

I’ve been using labels to hang the sheds up and in the 8-9 months waiting for the DG test to come out the labels stopped sticking and sheds broke off. In one case I only had maybe a dime sized shed on the back of the label so not sure that one will be big enough (probably some label adhesive too).

3 Likes

But if you did have a bunch of sheds even a little air in each bag will add up for envelope thickness. Also, probably want to avoid the bags with the big zipper handle.

4 Likes

I took a 9” X 11.5” envelope with 11 samples as flat as I could get them to the post office this morning. $5.10. Not complaining really but it just seems pretty random what they charge. Postal worker asked about contents and did seem focused on thickness although I think I was under 1/4”.

1 Like

USPS is still kind of on edge after Amerithrax and the ricin mailings so anything that is remotely “non-standard” can make the a little twitchy

3 Likes

I think she was mainly concerned about which rate to charge. Asked if paper. Should “book rate” be modernized to include genetic material? Certainly volumes of information.

2 Likes

yep when i mailed mine they asked me if it was liquid, toxic material, ect.

2 Likes

I’m sure they are concerned about hazardous materials but it’s also odd that they have so many different rates for the things they do ship. I feel like I could probably put envelopes in my mail box and be fine with less postage than they shake me down for when I take it in to the post office to be sure. On the plus side this last shipment might arrive with postal notification before the previous one from the mailbox shows received in the MM system.

2 Likes

My first pos het hypo sheds ordered the day the test launched on MM and mailed the next day just updated to received status. Hopefully enough other tests in the first wave for a batch to go out this week and maybe results as soon as late next week?

2 Likes