How much do you spend weekly on rodents?

I just bought 4 mice for my small pythons today. 14.00 for them. Next week my older BP will eat a rat so it will be 20.00. Plus tax. I am going to start raising my own mice and rats. Hopefully save some money. I have to drive to the next county to get them so gas would also count in that price.
We don’t have one close that sell feeders.

3 Likes

Probably only 2-3 bucks a week. I only have two snakes, so it isn’t that much money.

1 Like

For me it depends on who’s eating, but if I have a week where everyone eats it’s $13.85 in total. That’s for 5 hatchlings, 2 subadults, and 1 breeder female. But when I’m just feeding the weekly eaters it’s $8.85. I buy frozen in bulk from a local source and she does great qty discounts so I’m able to stock up and make one trip last 6-8 months. Of course, that’s just feeder cost, not counting gas but I think mapquest said it was about $14 round trip in fuel cost. I will be starting up at least a rat colony in the coming months and hopefully ASF as well if I can find a reputable supplier (my current supplier only offers rats and mice). I’m on the fence about starting a mouse colony but that may change one way or another with how my collection develops.

2 Likes

I only have two snakes and neither eats every week (one eats every 10 days, the other eats every 14 days), so my weekly feeding costs are probably under $5.

2 Likes

I now feed Willow every two weeks, so that is $0.70 per week and Kai eats once a month at $0.93 per week. So $1.63 per week and per month that is $2.33.

3 Likes

Wow I just realize I actually dropped my price per month

3 Likes

If only all pets were so cheap to feed. :joy:

Still, it sounds like you’re getting a hell of a deal on feeders. Or maybe feeders are just one more thing that’s stupid expensive where I live.

3 Likes

Snakes are considerably cheaper to feed, especially if they have slow metabolisms. The cost get spread out over two weeks or even more then a month (for males).

3 Likes

You guys are killing me :joy:

1 Like

What lol :joy:? Slow growing has been my thought process from the beginning. Of course, when they are younger you can pack them a little bit more, more often. Having the slow metabolisms really is what makes the cost go down. I order from Rodent Pro and if they don’t have my sizes in stock I go to Perfect prey. I feed moderately, not underfeed or power feed.

2 Likes

I just mean with your couple feeders lol. I need 200~ a month even feeding conservatively like I do :joy:

5 Likes

Lol, I get it now :rofl:. In a few years I will have two or three litters of boas to feed.

4 Likes

I just meant your price per month, or even per feeder, seems to be a good deal lower than what I’m paying, haha. I think I pay between $2-4 per feeder, depending on size.

2 Likes

Bulk is the best lol :joy:.

3 Likes

Sadly I have a roommate who wouldn’t exactly appreciate stacks of frozen rodents in our freezer, haha. (She hasn’t outright said as much, but I can read between the lines.) Plus I just don’t really have the freezer space to store a bunch of feeders at once.

When I have a few more snakes to feed, I’ll probably try to invest in a separate dedicated rodent freezer and start buying in bulk. As it stands now, even buying “expensive” single feeders, it’s still under $10 a month to feed both snakes, so it’s not exactly breaking the bank.

3 Likes

Too damn much! :rofl:

1 Like

When I got up to about 10 or so I was spending roughly 120ish a week. then I decided it was time to breed my own. I have 26 snakes total so I built my own rat racks and have 9 colonies total with a 3 to 1 ratio, and a small mouse colony of 10 to 1. I keep and grow out enough rats to feed my snakes and end up taking about 20+ a week to a local mom and pop pet shop. I sell em to them at wholesale. I get enough to pay for the rat/mouse food and the bedding and still have extra left over.

So basically I end up making money on rodents each week lol. all it costs me is a few hours a week for upkeep and checking on them every so often which I dont mind :grin: its kind of relaxing lol

2 Likes

:joy: Full breeding season now. e adult females and males are all fasting, (either too full with ovulations for females and one track minds for the males) Basically nothing for adults.
maybe £3 a month for the few younglings i have.
That’s like almost a 97% decrease in cost. (guesstimate)
What a pleasant difference ££$$

1 Like