How much do you spend weekly on rodents?

I’m not sure if this is allowed or not but my question is how much do you spend weekly on all your reptiles.

I spend around $70 or $75 weekly unless I just buy my rats or mice in bulk and not counting my other animals that aren’t reptiles.

3 Likes

Since I breed my own asfs, my rate will be a little different. But to feed ten snakes weekly, I pay roughly $15 a week for the supplies to breed the rats.

2 Likes

I just spent over $300 on cages and 12 rats and other things for them to start making my own to hopefully help cut costs down

Hopefully it’s worth it in the long run bout 3 weeks in and have bonded with them pretty good so we’ll shall see where it takes me and should have a litter pretty soon

3 Likes

I’m at about $250 a week with 170ish snakes. I’m working on my own colonies though. I’m moving across country and won’t have the supply source. But I’m super allergic to rats and mice so caring for them is a bit rough, so I have always paid for the convenience of not having my own colonies.

2 Likes

Producing my own has saved me quite a bit. 50lb bag of Mazuri lasts roughly 2 months for me. The bedding I get from Tractor Supply which is cheap and works for me. I also spend a little extra to feed them eggs, chicken breast, almonds, mealworms, fruit, carrots, and sunflower seeds. I currently have two breeding colonies, which I am about to start a third to replace one as they are starting to slow down production. I also have roughly 40-50 in my freezer that I have put down once they got to size, and not being able to feed them off quick enough. Which to me, is a very good thing to always have extra.

6 Likes

I spend 50 a week to keep my rodent colony running. And that feeds my 60 or so snakes.

3 Likes

I spend 30-45 to feed my snakes but that’s also including my other reptiles.

1 Like

I don’t have to spend anything. :wink: It’s all about who you know.

I don’t have any snakes :rofl:

5 Likes

As I only have 2 boas, it cost me about $2.00

1 Like

Between my 37 snakes I spend probally between $45-50 a week on rodents.

2 Likes

I raise my own food and produce enough to sell to a few good buddies at a very fair price. So as far as money spent, nothing. I do invest my time. I could cut my production by half, but I like talking snakes with my buddies every week.

6 Likes

If I buy local, 12 bucks a month per snake x 22 snakes. So around 250 a month If they have them available.
Ordering bulk online I can cut that number to 9-10 bucks.
Breeding my own was about 450 start up cost.
20 a month in aspen
15 on mazuri (50 every 90 days)
10 on chew blocks, sticks, bag of seeds, etc

So I might be spending 50 a month to breed my own vs 250 to go to the only pet shop with feeders

1 Like

As I’ve only 4 snakes I spend about 15 euros or whatever that is dollars a week feeding them.

2 Likes

For my 3 snakes (hognose, corn snake and ball python) I have learned to buy in bulk at the local expos, so it has cost about $80 to feed them for 6 months, which comes out to about $13.50 a month or $3/week. I bought a small rat, a hopper mouse and a fuzzy mouse from the local herp store just last week and it was $8! Luckily there’s an expo ~~~~tomorrow!!!~~~~. So I can restock.
:smiley:

4 Likes

I spend anywhere from 50 -80 a week for my 15 snakes and 2 geckos.

1 Like

I think as I acquire more boas, I will notice an increase. But I will say, though the price per rat does go up, they feed less often, especially males. Also ordering in bulk helps a lot too.

1 Like

For 13 snakes it’s about $45-$65 a week, depending on who is in shed and doesn’t want to eat that week. We are working on our breeding colonies or rats, mice and asf. This is the first month this year that all 4 of our mouse tubs have produced for us. Rats are also slow producing.
Hopefully the asfs will do well.
Use about one package of bedding every other month (was spending $20 at PetSmart, just found a tractor supply near by and will be getting it there) about 25-30 in food for the rodents with about another$15 for treats and chews.

1 Like

My Mazuri bill is around $2500/year depending on how many babies I produce. I go through 1.5 to 2 bags of 6F a week plus we feed veggies intermittently (and I don’t keep track of that cost). I raise mice but not quite enough this last year have been and spending around $30/month on them. That’s leaving aside heating and cooling costs for the rodent room though which I estimate at around $600/year.

Comes out to around $3500/year to feed 140~ permanent snakes and 80-100 transitory BP hatchlings. If I was paying myself labor it would be a much different story though because it’s fairly time consuming to raise this many rats.

2 Likes

Wow, haven’t added it up, I buy kind of bulk every month or two to reduce and dilute the delivery cost.
A dedicated small freezer helps with costs as I can buy in bulk and dilute the delivery costs that way.
Maybe i need a bigger dedicated freezer.
Maybe one or two hundred UK £ pounds a month roughly (depending on the breeding season) and with including some more expensive African soft furred rats. I don’t use live by the way.
I don’t buy the cheapest rats or AFF rats, quality is important to me.
Its not a cheep hobby.

1 Like

I decided to start cycling my breeders a little sooner than normal so I decided to go buy some mediums and larges today and mice for some colubrids. 15 mediums, 5 larges and a dozen mixed mice is all I needed. The owners are close friends of mine and I helped a lot with the construction and electrical on their store so I get my rodents, equipment, etc., at cost. Still ran $147. That number of rats just topped off a dozen of my larger breeder female ball pythons, fed a retic and a few boas. If all I can get are rats, one male retic will eat 3-4 larges at a time. I couldn’t justify NOT breeding rodents at those prices.

1 Like