How often and how many pinky rats should I be feeding

Have a 29 inch albino Burmese hatchling… she eating live… 1st feeding was one pinky rats, second feeding was 2 pinky rats. I’m feeding every 3 days… but she isn’t getting the food bump in her belly… should she be eating more?

3 Likes

A Burm that size can easily handle a weanling/small rat.

I am an advocate for slow, healthy feeding cycles for snakes so I would say feed once every to weeks as a juvenile. As the animal moves toward adulthood I would move to perhaps once a month

4 Likes

Is there a reason why you’re feeding her pinkies instead of larger prey? As t_h_wyman said, a snake that size can eat significantly larger prey. Just wondering if you were giving her pinkies for a reason. The general rule is that the prey should be about as big around as the largest part of the snake’s body (some people say prey can be 1.5 times as big as snake’s body). As far as I know, there are no benefits to feeding smaller/less mature prey. Quite the contrary, actually. More mature feeders tend to be more nutritious.

1 Like

She’s a new snake and tried feeding her bigger than a pinky rat and she wouldn’t eat it… so I tried a pinky rat and she ate it. So this last feeding I fed her 2 pinky rats… was just saying that now that she is eating for me maybe I try to get bigger

1 Like

Yeah, now that she’s eating for you, I would try feeding her larger feeders less frequently. It’ll be better for her long-term health.

You might also try offering her f/t. It’s possible she’d be less intimidated by larger prey if it’s already dead. I don’t have any experience with burms, but I went through something like that with my KSB. Her previous keeper was feeding her live small prey because she was afraid of larger live feeders, but I got her eating larger f/t feeders relatively easily. Though every snake is different, of course. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I always liked @ashleyraeanne ’s thought she shared w me. Select prey that is 10% of the snake’s body weight. Bigger than you’d think. Bigger prey has more bone volume. And, that means calcium and Vitamin D.

3 Likes