How to euthanize a rat

I have a live hopper that was supposed to be fed to one of the hatchlings, but she refused the meal. I now have a live hopper and no idea what to do with it. I dont have any other snakes to feed it too, i dont have anywhere to keep it. Euthanasia and freezing the hopper seems like the best thing to do to me. What do you do when a snake refuses a live meal?

Can’t you just save it until next week? You could try cervical dislocation or quickly smash the head (which might make it hard to feed).

1 Like

I would love to save it for next time but i dont a place or any supplies to keep it alive

1 Like

You could try CO2 euthanization. You can make CO2 from a chemical reaction of vinegar and baking soda. Here’s a great tutorial here. It’s for sterilizing a terrarium but it can be used here too.

1 Like

Without the supplies on hand for co2 dispatching the easiest way will be to use cervical dislocation.

1 Like

I used the above tutorial to get rid of pests in a terrarium. I had everything on hand and it took me over 2 hours to get everything made, sealing tubes and running the reaction. This would likely be quicker since not as much CO2 is needed, but finding the right containers, tubes, and ingredients is still necessary.
But I agree that cervical dislocation is the quickest, easiest, and likely most humane. I was just providing an alternative option.

1 Like

I think it’s a great suggestion, I’ve never tried it via diy, I have a CO2 chamber that I use for my rats. It takes 3 co2 cartridges to successfully euthanize the rats in my dispatch tank and if I don’t use enough they rebound.

2 Likes