How to know if a buyer or seller is legit

Their name and email doesn’t match the one on PayPal and I already had an uneasy feeling while sending messages back and forth.

2 Likes

If you have a bad gut feeling about it then I’d definitely pass on them.

I usually check to see if they have social media such as Facebook or Instagram, and see if their pages seem legit. I’ll also check their MorphMarket store ratings, if they have any.

If they don’t have any other social medias, I usually steer away from them. Especially if they’re a new seller. I may take the chance if they have several good reviews on MorphMarket.

4 Likes

I’ve found the Morphmarket Researching Online Sellers article to be helpful. If you’re wondering about a seller you could ask them questions about care. Something most breeders and hobbyists would be glad to help with. However if they aren’t legit then they likely would rush the sale and not answer any in-depth or (mostly) unrelated questions.

1 Like

Check their ratings.
Ask for references.
Ask for an explanation of the discrepancy
Search social media
Google the email address

5 Likes

What about dealing with iffy buyers?
Flaky buyers are legion. I’ve been one, I try not to be, these days. I’ve dealt with many, they aren’t rare. If a buyers’ email address and other contact details don’t line up consistently, I’d ask them, if they start dancing around the answer one could choose to ignore them. Or one could politely suggest they put up or shut up. :smiley: not that I’d ever use those words, but once folks have skin in the game, and by skin I mean a heavy chunk of cash, and by game I mean your wallet, well then, that buys them a touch of trust to at least be regarded a serious buyer; Right?

I had a buyer here on mm bought 2 from me and after they got the snakes they disputed the charges and got their money back so thats why I’m worried about it

Right, the old bank dispute scam. I don’t know that there’s any way to avoid that in any business that accepts cards, except if you are paying your payment processor up front for some kind of Chargeback Protection service. And I don’t know anyone who can afford to not take a card these days, either. It’s a horrible state of affairs, and they (financial institutions) pass the cost along to everyone. The frustrating thing is, it is rare enough that the Chargeback Protection services often don’t pay for themselves. I know other vendors in other businesses who deal with this a lot. A single bad actor really won’t get away with a significant amount more than once, but that doesn’t help sellers who got ripped off and have no recourse other than (probably out of state) small claims cases. It’s part of the risk of being in business, frustratingly. I wonder if insurance companies offer coverage from this, independent of banks? If they do, it probably isn’t worth the money, for most individuals, but it might smooth out the hassle.

Yea I’m a brand new seller , and I just want to make sure I do my best so I’m glad I saw this thread so I know what not to do and what to do. But some reason my ads won’t show up even though I’m approved.

1 Like

Hi @immanuel Can you post a link to your seller page on MorphMarket? What name are you selling under on the marketplace? Let’s see if we can see your ads, maybe they aren’t quite published? Maybe they ended up in the wrong category?

Go to:
https://www.morphmarket.com/us/stores/
and search for yourself, click on the listing and copy the link to your seller store, post it here and we’ll figure it out. Not staff, just a helping friendly nerd.

I have literally never posted an ad, but I’ve been lurking for years, and I’m a web dudeguyface. I’m about to start selling on here, too, but I’ve done weeks or months of research at this point. My overall advice is to lurk more and learn all you can.

3 Likes

There’s a checklist here about why the ad might not be showing up. If it still doesn’t show up then you can contact support with the link on the page.

1 Like

Someone had told me the other day they seen it and then someone else said they couldn’t but here’s the link Ackie Monitor by Immanuel's Reptiles - MorphMarket USA .
But I tried putting the link in and I still don’t see it.

1 Like

Thank you @erie-herps @jeremyjacob , I can see the view of it on the manage but when I tried to search it up like if I was a buyer I couldn’t see anything

2 Likes

I can see the ad just fine.

3 Likes

I did a search for Ackie in Monitors and it popped right up. You’re good to go, nice looking lizard!
Some features aren’t available, depending on your membership level.

https://www.morphmarket.com/us/search?q=Ackie&q=&cat=43

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you two! @jeremyjacob & @erie-herps ! Just want to make sure everything is set accordingly. Thank you so much again!

2 Likes