How to know what’s in your Bel?

So my question is. How do you know what’s in your bel if you have multiple genes in one of the pairings?
For instance I’ve seen a royal for sale. A bel. (Super lesser)
The parents were:
Super Lesser - Pastel Lesser GHI Enchi het Hypo
This is what the calculator says…

So basically how does one knows it’s just a super lesser and hasn’t got any others or all other genes in it?
I’m assuming breeding to see what else pops out?

1 Like

Yes all other genes besides what makes it a bel, have to be proven by breeding. Visible genes; like albino and banana can be seen though. It’s kind of weird you shine a flashlight into its head… Some people use a black light flashlight, but it’s not really a reliable way to ID.

1 Like

Completely makes sense as to why it’s down as just a bel then!
Oh wow really? Will have to look that up!

2 Likes

Here is what I was saying about banana

Breed it to a normal and see what all comes out?
That’s what I was told by a few breeders about my BEL.

2 Likes

Basically to sum up what everyone is saying is that you will have to prove it out because there are no real ways to discern a super Mojave to a Mojave/easer for instance. And many breeders I’ve seen with bels will often price bel combos as normal bells because certain genes just can’t be identified within the mix.

1 Like

Sometimes, depending on the combination, you can blacklight the animal and detect other patterns that are not directly visible. This works well when dealing with fairly extreme phenotype changes, like Clown or Spider. It is not quite as good for subtle things like Pastel or Enchi. You also need to account for inherent traits to the BluEL morph, like the manifestation of a dorsal stripe (so blacklighting a BluEL suspected GStripe would be fairly pointless)

2 Likes