How to tell if your Blue Eyed Leucistic is also Banana

We discovered a way to tell if your BEL is carrying Banana. I breed a lot of Banana BEL to make my Blue Eyeds. Previously we didn’t think there was a way to tell if they were carrying the Banana gene. One of my employees who IDs and sets up babies discovered this method. I thought it was interesting and wanted to share it with you guys. It is performed by illuminating behind the eyes. If they glow red they are Banana and if not they aren’t.

No Banana

Banana

67 Likes

wow that is really amazing. Never would have thought of that. Thanks for sharing

9 Likes

How cool! I’ve used a blacklight in the past but never thought of illuminating the head.

4 Likes

great tip, gonna have to remember this

2 Likes

Thats awesome! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Great tip Mike, thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Excellent info. I wonder if that will carry true with other banana combos. Once you stack other genes sometimes it can be hard to tell. Solid update

6 Likes

Sure fire way to tell for sure.

2 Likes

That is very useful. Thanks for the tip.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

2 Likes

It’s the little things in the hobby that make such a positive impact. Great to know thank you very much!

11 Likes

Any particular reason you use Banana bels as breeders?

Do Banana bels ever show spots?

6 Likes

How does this even work?

1 Like

They probably did a pairing with a banana bel, check the eye thing then paired that particular baby in the future and got the same result?

So i just hatched a bel from a bamboo clutch. Seeing this post when this thread started I remembered this. I also just found that if you light the head of bamboo it also has red pupils. I wasn’t supposed to get a bel with my pairing. Obviously my bel complex was bamboo in the pairing. The dame was sold as black pewter.

2 Likes

She definitely doesn’t look like just a black pewter, though I’m not entirely sure what BEL gene she could have in her. Maybe mystic or mojave?

5 Likes

My thoughts too! I’m going to go hold a flashlight to my banana mystic’s head when I get home

Might have something to do with why they have red pupils in photos, but I’m speaking from complete ignorance in regards to reptile ocular systems

Question with this method. I’ve had great luck with it this year with coral glow super mojaves and crystals.

Garrick DeMeyer recently brought up that super lessers/butters have visibly red pupils as opposed to the super mojo’s and such. Will this trick still work for them as well? Or does the lower amount of melanin in the pupil on the lessers make the whole eye glow regardless? Trying to figure out if a new BEL I picked up is super lesser or possible banana. Former owner has no idea on genetics but he was part of a group purchase.

That’s crazy and very helpful. Thank you for sharing

1 Like