Red eyed leucistic?

I hatched 3 BELs this year. The pairing was banana cinnamon lesser x lesser het clown. What’s weird is that in person there pupils seem to be red. It looks like when you stare at the camera flash and your eyes are red in a photo. Is this normal? Does it go away after time?

5 Likes

Huh that is weird… i thought leucistic had blue eyes, and that red eyes was more of an albino thing…

Ball pythons arent my specialty, so i unfortunately couldnt tell you if it will go away.

1 Like

Well it’s weird, they have a blue iris like usual but the pupil is red. I haven’t been able to capture it in a photo just yet but if I do I’ll post it

1 Like

Ohh, that could be the way the light is catching. Could be reflecting blood vessels. It happens to bkue eyed creatures alot because blue is basically an overal lack of pigment in the iris. At least in people and dogs, that is the case

3 Likes

Blue eyes is essentially ocular albinism :slight_smile: so its easier for the choroid to be reflected. (The red bit in the back of your eyes)

3 Likes

Do they all do it? I think it’s from the banana since it’s a T+ albino morph.
I just checked and found this. That’s likely what it is.

5 Likes

@erie-herps is on the ball as always!

2 Likes

Fascinating!

2 Likes

Sorta unrelated note, a BEL BlkEL will also be blue eyed with a red pupil, I found that interesting when I first saw one.

3 Likes

Hey there we have also hatched out 2 karma (lesser pastel x phontom) they also have red pupils :heart_eyes: amazing

I think is a lesser thing :heart_eyes: Stunning whatever causes it

1 Like

That’s exactly what mine look like!

2 Likes

It is not, all the “white snakes” (BluEL, BlkEL, Ivory, WhitePied) will do this and it happens with some other combos too. It is an artifact of how the eye diffracts compounded by the altered eye pigmentation. Best analogy is the green flash you see in cats eyes - Very prominent under certain lighting conditions, less obvious in others

8 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up @t_h_wyman very interesting indeed. I appreciate you correcting me as I’m a newbie :blush: all the knowledge is helping me on my journey :relaxed:

2 Likes

Okay, seeing the red pupil makes me think of he’ll. Those are creepy, yet very cool! :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Haha. It was unexpected but not unwanted :joy: still really pretty in my opinion

1 Like