How to rid smell of reptile room

I have my geckos in a small room in my house and I’m looking to see any good options to help with odor. Do you guys have any?

1 Like

Why do they stink? They shouldn’t smell to begin with? I have 10 geckos and neither they, the dubia colony, or crickets have any smell.

3 Likes

There are activated charcoal? scent removers and I think some based around bamboo, they absorb scent from the air and don’t release anything. I’d make sure to spot clean any poop and potentially check under hides if smell is becoming an issue. There are 3D printed “litter boxes” for leopard geckos since they often poop in the same spot that makes cleanup easier as well

2 Likes

I keep an air purifier with a HEPA filter and charcoal filtration system running 24/7 in my apartment. Between the giant dog, ASFs and snakes, it makes a huge difference

7 Likes

I hate to be so blunt but the answer is clean em. I have over 100 snakes in the room and there’s no smell a couple hours after I spot clean.

9 Likes

I don’t know why it smells. I do have bioactive enclosures so maybe that’s why.

3 Likes

Then that might be a mold/fungal issue

2 Likes

Thanks I make sure to get all the poop and spit clean all the time.

1 Like

Ok I’ll look it to it thanks.

1 Like

Well in your defense the bioactive substrate could produce an odor depending on whats going on.

5 Likes

Well that’s your problem right there - maybe try cleaning with something other than spit! Haha, sorry couldn’t resist! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Something’s going on there. If there’s a smell Inna bioactive it means your cleanup crew isn’t doing their job.
Are the tanks live-planted?
What do your cleanup crews look like? Springtails? Isopods? How are their populations doing?

5 Likes

I agree, I have 12 Cresties all in bioactive and none of them smell. Including the one that produces a lot of (good) mold

How long have you had the bio-active enclosures? And what custodians do you use?

4 Likes

Bio shouldn’t smell, unless earthy. As said do you have a clean up crew?
Have 40 Cresties myself and none smell? Only one that ever does is the Cham because he’s a stinky boy! And his poops are massive and my gosh he even does it in his feeding bowl :woman_facepalming:t2::joy:
He’s lucky he’s beautiful :triumph:

6 Likes

To be honest I don’t smell anything but other people are complaining so I bet it is probaly and earthy smell.

How did I not notice that!

1 Like

We often become immune to smells in our own homes but guests do notice them. However there still shouldn’t be any smells as there is no difference between house plants and the plants in the terrarium as the clean up crew should be keeping it clean

2 Likes

Yeah, it shouldn’t smell any different than a room full of houseplants would

2 Likes

As someone who grows indoor plants I can tell you living soil which is kinda like bio active setup most certainly does smell different than potting soil.

2 Likes

I completely agree but it should not smell foul in any way.

1 Like