Humid hide question

Ok, this is random but does a leo need a humid hide if it is housed in a tub with paper towel substrate.

It’s your choice really,. It makes it easy since they can use it at thier leisure. Regardless when my leopards are going into shed,. I’ll add some extra humidity to the entire enclosure. I noticed they like to use it also occasionally when not in shed. I like them to have the option if they feel the need. Just my personal experience and choice. *The black kfc containers sides come in have been pretty useful and cheap.

I chose to provide humid hides to animals with paper towel substrate.

1 Like

I’d provide a humid hide.

What do you guys use for a humid hide?

1 Like

plastic hide with eco earth sprayed down

1 Like

I have a deli meat plastic container with an entrance cut in the side. It’s filled with sphagnum moss.

Yes, they need one. I use an appropriately sized tupperware with moist sponges.

thank you!!!

1 Like

how often should i mist down or spray the humid hide

Enough so it’s always damp

1 Like

Its not necessary to keep a humid hide in with your leo at all times but can def benefit when you see they are going into shed. Humid hides help if you struggle with maintaining proper humidity.
I personally keep a humid hide with my leo at all times. This allows my leo to utilize the hide at their discretion. It helps to keep them hydrated and have perfect sheds and eliminate the troubling stuck sheds that sever their toes.
I just use any simple plastic container with lid that is big enough for the leo to turn around in with an entrance cut out on the side or top. You can reuse take out containers or Tupperware containers or purchase commercially made hides found at pet stores. Totally your option and personal preference.
The options to put in can be moistened paper towels, sphagnum moss, eco earth to name a few. Make the contents are damp, not soaking wet with standing water at the bottom of the hide. Also check them periodically and remoisten or spray down with a water bottle.

1 Like

How do you prevent the humid hide from growing mold?

Sphagnum moss is very mold/bacteria resistant

1 Like

If you only have a few geckos, then I used to have 2 hides for each gecko. After I would rotate a fresh one in, I would remove & clean the other one, replace any sponge if necessary, and let it stay dry for awhile outside the tank. Next time I cleaned the tank, I’d repeat the process. Unless a sponge gets contaminated (e.g. skin, prey, feces), it doesn’t grow mold.

1 Like