Hurricane vs Motley Name

I know some people have selectively bred hurricanes with rings around the circles.

Is there a name for selectively breeding motleys with the connected saddles and circles to go the length of the body to the tail?

Not the top, but the one underneath.

4 Likes

Sounds like you might be describing Pinstripe motley (if all or most of the dots are connected into a stripe) or Q-tip motley if groups of two dots are connected (making a Q-tip shape). If you have a picture as an example, that would help.

3 Likes

I edited my OP for ya. Sorry for the confusion.

I think I stole the pic and bastardized it from SMR.

4 Likes

The bottom pic looks like a standard motley pattern to me.

5 Likes

Motley currently presents as one of 6 ways:

Classic/standard motley - this is the connected saddles down the back forming circles/dots. Level of expression does have a selective breeding quality to it

Hurricane motley - this is a classic motley with frosting in the saddles causing the color to ā€˜concentrateā€™ around the dots, forming a ring

Q-tip motley - this is where some of the circles in the classic motley start stretching and connecting with one another, 2 to 4 spots at a time

Pinstripe motley - most or all of the circles are connected, leaving a narrow line down the spine instead of the typical circles

Banded motley - instead of forming circles at all, the saddles stretch downwards to connect to the belly

Leopard motley - rarest pattern, looks like what would happen if you tried to have a pinstripe and a banded motley on the same animal. The pattern is relegated to large blotches on the side with no pattern over the spine

6 Likes

Thank you for the educated repliesā€¦

Iā€™ve often seen the dotted motley pattern down the neck, but they seem to stop connecting around the back area.

For some reason, I havenā€™t seen too many ā€œdotsā€ continuing down to the tail (although I have seen some.)

Since I know hurricane is bred for, is this neck to tail classic ā€œdotā€ motley pattern bred for as well- or is it usually just ā€œwhatever pops out- pops outā€?

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if thereā€™s a specific name for that look, but I know what you mean. Itā€™s probably a bit polygenic and a bit line bred.

5 Likes

I think that this used to be more available. I seemed to see more of them, say ten years ago. It seems like itā€™s something which could be selectively bred, just as the hurricane pattern can be selectively bred. I have seen the term ā€œpolka dot motleyā€ used for individuals with this pattern.

4 Likes

Thank you. That gives me something to look for.

2 Likes