Hybrid Incubator/Brumator?

I have no clue if this is possible since it’s literally polar opposites but is there any way to create a system (wine cooler for example) that can function as both an incubator and a brumator? This would make my office space so much more efficient, it would be awesome.

2 Likes

I would assume if you had a mini fridge/drink cooler that still worked, you could simply add heat tape to the inside. When needing to incubate, have the fridge unplugged, and when needing to Brumate, have the heat aspect unplugged.

In theory you could run the fridge on a thermostat to your set temp, for either type of use you’re looking for.

1 Like

I had thought of this but I am not technologically wise and wasn’t sure if lining the sides would affect the cooling effect, or offer proper heat distribution. My current wine cooler is a dial type and is dying I think so I’m wanting to replace it. I’m also changing my method of incubating this year so that’s what got me thinking. I guess I could run a trial once the snakes are out of brumation. I just don’t want to mess up any of the wiring and such.

1 Like

See if you can’t grab an old retail beverage fridge off of FB/CL/whatever site for cheap. Snake Discovery did a great video about converting one into an incubator, and I bet if you were careful, you could do so AND keep the cooling features intact.

It’s definitely possible. Wilbanks produces their own line of them. I don’t see why you couldn’t rig a normal wine cooler to do the same thing. It would take a bit of experimenting to determine proper airflow and temps.

1 Like

I’ll definitely have to check out her videos, that would help I think. I am not familiar with what fan is normally used so maybe she will cover that.

1 Like

They have beautiful incubators. Looks as though it’s feasible I just need to hone my DIY skills.

1 Like

From what i understand people use computer fans inside their incubators.

1 Like

Using something like a wine cooler for both can be done. If you have or can get one that works, all you need to do is add the heat tape and choose what option you are using at the time and only plug that portion in, as @nswilkerson1 stated. Only make small holes to run the power and prob through. The only part that may be tricky, would be keeping the heat tape attached when cold as moisture can cause the tape to come loose. I would find a permanent way to attach it and not use tape.